Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difference between GT2 and HTD belts

Posted by Yaro 
Difference between GT2 and HTD belts
October 23, 2014 09:50AM
Hi, what are differences between GT2 and HTD belts in precision and belt bouncing? I see they have almost same round belt profile so i can assume that there aren't any backslash in both belts, right?
Re: Difference between GT2 and HTD belts
October 24, 2014 05:40AM
Backlash is the difference between tooth size on the belt and size of the gap between two teeth on the pulley. Not a matter of wether teeth are round or trapezoidal.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 24, 2014 09:39AM
GT2 was a further revision of HTD. HTD stands for high torque drive and both types of belts are claimed to have higher torque capabilities and longer life over plain trapezoidal belts due to how the teeth mesh with the drive gear. I don't think our relatively small motors are going to make much difference in the torque limits of a trapezoidal, HTD, or GT2 belt.

Traumflug
Backlash is the difference between tooth size on the belt and size of the gap between two teeth on the pulley. Not a matter of wether teeth are round or trapezoidal.
This handbook (newer revision of this) would challenge that to some degree:
"On drives using a low installation tension, small pulleys, and light loads, the backlash of the
PowerGrip GT2 system will be slightly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system. However,
with increased tension and/or loads and/or pulley sizes, the performance of the PowerGrip GT2
system becomes significantly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system."

Yeah it is a technical doc/marketing literature for Gates, makers of HTD and GT2 belts so take it all with a grain of salt. They aren't going to say their bets aren't better. But even potential biases aside, a lot of what they say makes sense. For our relatively slow and low torque use, I don't think it matters all that much which belt type you use in the long run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 09:40AM by cdru.
October 29, 2014 01:18AM
cdru
GT2 was a further revision of HTD. HTD stands for high torque drive and both types of belts are claimed to have higher torque capabilities and longer life over plain trapezoidal belts due to how the teeth mesh with the drive gear. I don't think our relatively small motors are going to make much difference in the torque limits of a trapezoidal, HTD, or GT2 belt.

Traumflug
This handbook (newer revision of this) would challenge that to some degree:
"On drives using a low installation tension, small pulleys, and light loads, the backlash of the
PowerGrip GT2 system will be slightly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system. However,
with increased tension and/or loads and/or pulley sizes, the performance of the PowerGrip GT2
system becomes significantly better than the trapezoidal timing belt system."

Yeah it is a technical doc/marketing literature for Gates, makers of HTD and GT2 belts so take it all with a grain of salt. They aren't going to say their bets aren't better. But even potential biases aside, a lot of what they say makes sense. For our relatively slow and low torque use, I don't think it matters all that much which belt type you use in the long run.

Agree.

It's only depends on the designer/maker of the printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login