Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with stepper motor and RAMPS 1.4

Posted by Mario Munoz 
Need help with stepper motor and RAMPS 1.4
September 28, 2014 07:00PM
Hi there, i'm new to 3D printers and i'm about to build one, for the electronics I'm going to use Arduino Mega and RAMPS 1.4, for the motors I'll use 17HS4401 stepper motors(I've alredy ordered them), but for what I've read this motors work with 1.7A and i was wondering, how am I supossed to wire the Z axis if I want to use 2 motors for it? If i put them in parallel they will draw more current that the pololu drivers can take, and i don't know how to wire them in series or if they would work like that. I hope someone can help me. I'll attach the motor specs.

-Sorry for my english, it's not my native language spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Attachments:
open | download - temp2.0x0.jpg (62.1 KB)
Re: Need help with stepper motor and RAMPS 1.4
September 29, 2014 03:49AM
They will work ok connected in parallel.

November 27, 2014 07:02AM
ramps 1.4 has afaik 2 conectors for each of the Z axis motors. just conect each individually.
or, if you want to torture yourself here is the link:
[www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]

Have fun!
November 27, 2014 07:35AM
Yes you can wire them in series to stay within the current limit of the stepper driver. The maximum speed available at full torque will be a little lower because they will share the voltage, unless you use a higher supply voltage. See [reprappro.com] for a connection diagram.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2014 07:36AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 27, 2014 11:42PM
RAMPS 1.4 shield all set up for 2 Z motors

Works fine with NEMA 17 motors using Pololu A4988 drivers
you may want to use Black Edition A4988 stepper motor driver which
operates from 8 V to 35 V and can deliver up to 2 A per coil with sufficient additional cooling.

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login