Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re-acquiring home after XY shift

Posted by jterrell 
Re-acquiring home after XY shift
July 19, 2014 04:23PM
I've run across issues where my X or Y axis shifts and no longer lines up with where my printer is printing. I think its due to a stepper driver over-heating, but the problem got me thinking. Has anyone done any research into what it would take to have the 3D printer recognize that it has shifted from its original XY home and then pause the print, re-home and then continue printing again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2014 04:23PM by jterrell.
Re: Re-acquiring home after XY shift
July 20, 2014 06:01AM
The whole point of a stepper motor is "fire and forget", like "send a step pulse and trust in that it becomes executed".

The unfortunate thing is, most commonly used firmwares come with default settings which exceed most printer capabilities. Accordingly, we see laments about step losses on a daily base and "ideas" to "fix" it every other week. Please complain on your firmwares' bug reporter.

The real fix is to adjust motor current, max feedrate and acceleration to something your printer can deal with.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Re: Re-acquiring home after XY shift
July 20, 2014 06:54PM
Yeah, good answer Traumflug!

July 20, 2014 07:01PM
Same as Mr T. I've got a properly calibrated printer, and unless I uncalibrate it, re-homing will never cross my mind. I haven't had the issue in my 1+ measly year of 3D printing. I don't see why an advanced, costly [it aint broke, so spending anything extra is costly, right?] system would be needed when you can just get your numbers right in the first place.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login