Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the recommended Bowden setup for 3mm Filament

Posted by Harleym 
What is the recommended Bowden setup for 3mm Filament
June 08, 2014 09:24PM
Hi, I'm still new to all this but am embarking on my 2nd build & want to use 3mm filament for an oversized Kossel Mini. I have seen comment that PTFE tube ID of 3mm is too close & causes binding. Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience?

My apologies if this has been already been discussed - a quick search didn't find what I am looking for.

Cheers.
Re: What is the recommended Bowden setup for 3mm Filament
June 08, 2014 09:58PM
You want 1/8" id tubing which is 3.15mm's . For the best retraction you will want 1/4" od because the wall is thicker and stretches less. You can get it from most industrial suppliers and fluid power companies as well as lab supply companies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 09:59PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 09, 2014 03:32PM
In the big books (Reprap's wiki) your problem is pretty well explained - 6mm OD and 4mm ID for 3mm filament; 3 (or 4) mm OD and 2mm ID for 1.75mm filament. I think that the gap is so big because of the variable diameter of the filament (and because of the standards, ofc). smiling smiley I got my PTFE tubing from a local fluid power company which is selling pneumatic components (I will not tell you the name because I don't want to make an advertisement). smiling smiley
The prices were something like 3.5$ for a linear meter for the first type 6/4 and something like 2$/lin.meter for 4/2.
Best regards,
Bobby

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 03:33PM by BoByS.
June 09, 2014 10:14PM
Thanks very much guys! My local RepRap supplier was suggesting I use his 3mm ID gear which he has in stock, suggesting that he uses it without any issues & that 3mm filament is more often than not 2.8 mm. I'll do some more ringing around & see what I come up with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login