Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[CONCEPT] Off-carriage belt driven extruder

Posted by Shafiqson 
[CONCEPT] Off-carriage belt driven extruder
June 03, 2014 05:43AM
Hello fellow tinkerers,

I suddenly got this idea this morning and found it interesting and thought I'd share it to get some feedback on whether I should dwell on it or discard it altogether.

The idea relates to the extrusion mechanism on "regular" Prusa-style printers using geared extruders on the Y-carriage. Usually this causes oscillations in the entire printer upon sudden movements and results in ripples in the printed object, along with other issues. The extruder motor being placed on the Y carriage therefore limits the speed with which one can print quality.

My idea was to remove the extruder motor from the Y carriage and place it on the X idler, opposite of the X motor. This has already been experimented with; Experimental Off-Carriage Extruder Motor. This would decrease the total mass of the y carriage and allow greater printing speeds. But instead of using a rod for the drive gear, a belt is used to drive a pulley, to which the drive gear is attached. See attached image.

Obviously, some logic will have to be implemented for the extrusion, as the extruder must now counter the movement along the X axis.

Do you think this is worthwhile? Please comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2014 05:45AM by Shafiqson.
Attachments:
open | download - Off-carriage Belt Driven Extruder - Concept.png (114.6 KB)
Re: [CONCEPT] Off-carriage belt driven extruder
June 03, 2014 04:41PM
I think this is a great idea. The problem as you already know is that the X and the E axes are not independent if you go this way. You will have to customize the firmware if you want to be able to adjust the extrusion rate during a print. If you don't need to adjust the extrusion rate during a print you code run the gcode through a simple preprocessor. Let me know if you get to the testing stage and you would like a preprocessor for some quick testing.

If you really want to go crazy, you can use this idea with a HBot or a CoreXY style bot. You just add a layer of belt on top of what is already there.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login