Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finest z-axis leadscrew solution with zero backlash

Posted by macpod 
Finest z-axis leadscrew solution with zero backlash
April 29, 2014 12:15AM
I'm working on building an SLA printer that will have about 12" of z-axis travel and was wondering what others are using for their z-axis as well as what has been deemed "best".

Ideally I would like to do this for under $150.. but up to $200 is OK if the accuracy is worth it.

Towards the top of my list are precision acme 1-start screws from mcmaster and anti-backlash nuts from dumpster cnc. If I use a 1/4" thread I can get 20tpi but I would greatly prefer to use a thicker acme screw to ensure the leadscrew has less of a chance of bending. Unfortunately if I go up in size (3/8") the tpi drops to 12 @ 1 start

I have also been eye-ing those supposed zero-backlash ballscrews that can be found on ebay but they look like they are single ball-nut solutions vs proper double ballnut zero-backlash configurations. Anyone have experience with them?

Or is there anything else I have missed? The threadless rod leadscrew solution looks cool but I am afraid they may slip for my setup. I'm also trying to make the parts relatively obtainable and 3d printed parts on that solution kinda kill it.

Lastly I have also considered gearing solutions for extra precision but I'm afraid the backlash on these systems neglects their utility for this application.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 12:22AM by macpod.
Re: Finest z-axis leadscrew solution with zero backlash
April 29, 2014 10:28AM
I have been trying to explain this to the reprap community for a while now. The linear bearing and rail and frame that it's attached to has to be extremely strong as far as the screw being bowed doesn't matter as it turns it will straighten itself out without flexing the linear rail and bearing system. This is the way you design systems the Z axis has to be rigid enough that any push from the screws side to side does not affect it. I do not see too many printers that have anywhere near adequate Z linear systems that is why some people with printers use little teeny quarter inch or 5 mm diameter threaded rods because they straighten themself out really easy and don't deflect the Z axis bearing system very much. But the real root of the problem is the z-axis linear system is just nowhere near strong enough. I've built a lot of systems with ballscrews and Acme screws thing is you really should never use regular threaded rod it's really not made for that purpose. Thread pitch doesn't really matter as much as you think if you make a good bearing system or purchase a ballscrew bearing mount you can run a belt and pulley system to the screw and use a belt reduction from motor to the screw. Here is a picture of a small milling machine I made yours doesn't obviously have to be this strong but it shows the motor pulley system driving the screw for the Z

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 11:59AM by cnc dick.
A2
April 29, 2014 10:41AM
macpod
I'm working on building an SLA printer

DLP-SLA or SL Laser?

Suitable resin chemistries
[forums.reprap.org]

3D DLP Printer, 14″ of travel
[forums.reprap.org]
April 29, 2014 07:17PM
Backlash is only a problem for an axis that switches directions. With a z that will continually raise in one direction, the backlash can almost be as big as you want assuming you don't have anything vibrating your system. I would highly suggest an ACME screw with a normal flange nut. I would cry to see a ballscrew or an anti-backlash nut wasted on a slow moving unidirectional axis. Even if you switch directions, you will move so slow that gravity will push you down to the lower extreme of your play.

Try to avoid gearing to increase your precision. In theory you will be fine but it will increase cost and complexity. With the 12TPI a traditional full step will be 10 microns which should be all the precision you need.

I agree with cnc_dick. You need to make sure you have a well supported z. That is easy enough to do. Resist the urge to mount both sides of your screw. Your screw should be coupled to your stepper and then you should remove any end play the stepper might have by using some thread clamps (dumptercnc) to sandwich two bearings against a rigid frame element. I usually do this close to the coupler and then the other end of the screw hangs loose after it goes through the lead nut. This will make alignment less of a headache and will keep the screw from exerting sideways forces on your z axis.

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
April 29, 2014 09:54PM
cnc dick
I have been trying to explain this to the reprap community for a while now. The linear bearing and rail and frame that it's attached to has to be extremely strong as far as the screw being bowed doesn't matter as it turns it will straighten itself out without flexing the linear rail and bearing system. This is the way you design systems the Z axis has to be rigid enough that any push from the screws side to side does not affect it. I do not see too many printers that have anywhere near adequate Z linear systems that is why some people with printers use little teeny quarter inch or 5 mm diameter threaded rods because they straighten themself out really easy and don't deflect the Z axis bearing system very much. But the real root of the problem is the z-axis linear system is just nowhere near strong enough. I've built a lot of systems with ballscrews and Acme screws thing is you really should never use regular threaded rod it's really not made for that purpose. Thread pitch doesn't really matter as much as you think if you make a good bearing system or purchase a ballscrew bearing mount you can run a belt and pulley system to the screw and use a belt reduction from motor to the screw. Here is a picture of a small milling machine I made yours doesn't obviously have to be this strong but it shows the motor pulley system driving the screw for the Z

Lol, I wouldn't use something like allthread from the local hardware. As said in my original post I would use a precision acme threaded rod at least.

Ok, as for the bowing... are you assuming I am referring to the bowing in the rod as delivered from the factory? That is a concern but not the bowing I was referring to.

The z-axis system will be made with two linear rails from mitsumi (and 4 blocks.. 2 per rail) affixed to extruded aluminum or solid aluminum.. much like in your picture. I don't expect there to be an issue with the rigidity of this.

Instead I mean bowing caused by pressure applied to the leadscrew from whatever it is physically moving (i.e. in your example the mill head). Unless the leadscrew is tightly held on both ends (making alignment a pain) a 1/4" leadscrew is going to bend under a load far more so than a 3/8" rod (or bigger). Described this way does this make my concern clearer?

A2
DLP-SLA or SL Laser?

Suitable resin chemistries
[forums.reprap.org]

3D DLP Printer, 14″ of travel
[forums.reprap.org]

Laser based. I've made the open source electronics and server sided software for this already. Now I need to write the frontend and actually build the hardware platform. I'll post more about this once I'm done.

nicholas.seward
Backlash is only a problem for an axis that switches directions. With a z that will continually raise in one direction, the backlash can almost be as big as you want assuming you don't have anything vibrating your system. I would highly suggest an ACME screw with a normal flange nut. I would cry to see a ballscrew or an anti-backlash nut wasted on a slow moving unidirectional axis. Even if you switch directions, you will move so slow that gravity will push you down to the lower extreme of your play.

Try to avoid gearing to increase your precision. In theory you will be fine but it will increase cost and complexity. With the 12TPI a traditional full step will be 10 microns which should be all the precision you need.

I agree with cnc_dick. You need to make sure you have a well supported z. That is easy enough to do. Resist the urge to mount both sides of your screw. Your screw should be coupled to your stepper and then you should remove any end play the stepper might have by using some thread clamps (dumptercnc) to sandwich two bearings against a rigid frame element. I usually do this close to the coupler and then the other end of the screw hangs loose after it goes through the lead nut. This will make alignment less of a headache and will keep the screw from exerting sideways forces on your z axis.

Z-axis travel will occur in both directions every layer. In addition a "knock" will occur for every layer. These are why I'm looking for a zero backlash solution.

12tpi may give you a theoretical 10 microns but that is assuming the leadscrew threading does not vary. I'm looking for finer in an effort to:
1. Avoid gearing/belts if I can.
2. Try some "oversample"-esque experiments.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:02PM by macpod.
April 29, 2014 10:31PM
With correct pulleys and belts driving good screws accuracy is phenomenal it's not like open-ended belts if you've been around machine tools you'd see this it's quite often used you will be capable of moving with repeatability within tenths of thousand of a inch

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:34PM by cnc dick.
April 29, 2014 10:35PM
What do you consider the correct pulley's and belts? Do you have a preferred source for them too? (sdp-si?) I'm probably going to utilize nema17 sized steppers.

Edit: In your eyes what's the best belt tensioning scheme too?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:36PM by macpod.
April 29, 2014 10:45PM
I'm guessing you're in the US since you said dollars any good brand of steel reinforced belt and pulley as long it is not this a long span. A long span is where you end up with troubles with belts being not accurate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:46PM by cnc dick.
April 29, 2014 10:59PM
Yes, I am in the U.S.

It won't be far, literally it will be used for gear reduction (assuming I use it). Are you aware of any small brands that you can recommend? I know you say any will do, but I do not have experience with any so any suggestion on your side would be helpful.

I'm still interested to hear of your tensioning solution too for small span setups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:59PM by macpod.
April 29, 2014 11:08PM
This plenty of belts to choose from here in the US as far as tension goes not that critical with steal reinforced belts you just have the motor be able to slide. But you had mentioned Nema 17 motor you have plenty of room and it is not going to move the motor I definitely would go with a Nema 23 motor much more power for same amperage

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 11:11PM by cnc dick.
April 29, 2014 11:10PM
macpod
Z-axis travel will occur in both directions every layer. In addition a "knock" will occur for every layer. These are why I'm looking for a zero backlash solution.

12tpi may give you a theoretical 10 microns but that is assuming the leadscrew threading does not vary. I'm looking for finer in an effort to:

I assume that after you burn your layer in you will move up and then back down. In that case you still don't need a anti-backlash solution because you will always be approaching the positions that matter from the same direction.

What resolutions do you need? The error from the threading won't go away if you gear down the screw. The only reason you would want to gear the screw down would be if you were going to map the error of the thread and get the firmware to use this info to do adjustments on the micron level.

Keep in mind that your lead screw will be +/- 250microns over 300mm according to McMaster-Carr. You can do better than that by calculating the actual pitch of the screw you get instead of trusting the nominal number. After that, you are left with local variations in the thread form that will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I suspect that you will be able get the resolution/accuracy you want by that point.

ConceptFORGE
April 29, 2014 11:11PM
cnc dick
This plenty of belts to choose from here in the US as far as tension goes not that critical with steal reinforced belts you just have the motor be able to slide. But you had mentioned Nema 17 motor you have plenty of room and it is not going to move the motor I definitely would go with a Nema 23 motor much more power for same amperage

So where do you get your pulleys and belts from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 11:12PM by macpod.
April 29, 2014 11:15PM
nicholas.seward

I assume that after you burn your layer in you will move up and then back down. In that case you still don't need a anti-backlash solution because you will always be approaching the positions that matter from the same direction.

What resolutions do you need? The error from the threading won't go away if you gear down the screw. The only reason you would want to gear the screw down would be if you were going to map the error of the thread and get the firmware to use this info to do adjustments on the micron level.

Keep in mind that your lead screw will be +/- 250microns over 300mm according to McMaster-Carr. You can do better than that by calculating the actual pitch of the screw you get instead of trusting the nominal number. After that, you are left with local variations in the thread form that will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. I suspect that you will be able get the resolution/accuracy you want by that point.

Resolution-wise as high as I can get within my defined budget from the first post. I agree with the gearing, that's why I was asking for fine pitched leadscrews.

And yea, I'm aware of leadscrew variances. I was hoping some of you knew of some brands that were better in this regards than others.
April 29, 2014 11:16PM
nicholas.seward
macpod

it is to get steps per millimeter finer than the pitch of the screw if he is using a good quality zero backlash ballscrew you should be able to achieve good fine results
April 29, 2014 11:20PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 11:21PM by macpod.
A2
April 30, 2014 02:29AM
What is your goal for the XYZ-axis resolutions, any thing like Envision Tec SLA machines resolution?

Resolution in X and Y: 0.0012” (31 µm).
Dynamic Voxel Resolution in Z: 0.0010” to 0.0014” (25 µm to 35 µm).
Build Envelope: 1.58” x 1.18” x 3.94” (40 x 30 x 100 mm).

The Perfactory® Micro HiRes is the smallest professional-grade desktop 3D printer in size with the highest resolution.
[envisiontec.com]
[envisiontec.com]

How much force are you expecting to load the Z-axis stepper motor?

My NEMA17's are rated at 76 oz-in, I'm working on an idea to gang my steppers (qty:3) as I want to use a belt and a direct pull for a DLP-SLA application. If it's possible I want to avoid using a screw. From what I have read in the RepRap forums there are a lot of blemishes on the surface caused by using a Z-axis screw, and a belt eliminates them. But it's next to impossible to make my idea work "simply", so I'm thinking of alternatives to a tilting bed, and workarounds to forthcoming patents, this is what I'm thinking about presently.

With a PDMS film (Silicone) on the vat bottom, the separation force is ~100 oz or (27.8 N) for an image area of 625 mm2 (25 mm x 25 mm). I've read on the chart as high as ~140 oz separation force, and I'm sure it goes higher as the exposure time increases.

Using force 100 oz, and my proposed build platform area of 7.5 in x 4.25 in x 100 oz = 3187.5 oz force, or 199 pounds! So it's easy to see that a belt will not work on it's own.

I've left notes in this thread on how to calculate the lifting torque:
LISA Simpson
[forums.reprap.org]

A2
Calc Torque required to lift 5 lbs at the nut:
Ok, so now lets calculate the torque required of your stepper motor to lift 5 lbs with friction at the nut/shoulder pivot.
A max system weight = 15 lbs for this analysis.

Note: If the motor doesn’t have the necessary torque (plus start up friction) then you need to use a bigger motor or reduce the lead/pitch.
As you decrease the lead (axial travel / revolution) you decrease the torque required to lift a load, i.e. your mechanical advantage will increase.

There are different types of thread angles, and thread terms have been interchanged by unwitting groups.
So if you try to compare functions from different pieces of literature it can get confusing.

Note: There are 3 types of angles associated with a thread:
Lead angle (measured from the axis-plane to the thread profile) .
Helix angle (measured from the axis-center to the thread profile.
Thread angle (the included angle, between thread profiles, (2 x lead angle)).

There is also an angle taken from the normal (direction that the force is being applied), I forget what this angle is called?,
but it's the same as the lead angle (this does not apply to a square thread).

Roton Dia 1.00” x 1.00” lead:
Pitch (multi start thread) = 1.00”.
Thread starts = 5.
Lead of a multi start thread = No of thread starts x pitch
Lead = 5.00”.
Lead angle = arctan(lead / pi x dia of helix):
Lead angle @ pitch dia = arctan(5.00” / 3.1415 x 0.812”): = 63.00 degrees.
Helix angle = 90 degrees – 17.66 degree lead angle = 72.34 degrees.
Circumference = pi x d, or 2 x pi x r = 3.1415”

Terms:
p: pitch.
dm: pitch diameter.
u: coefficient of dry friction.
lambda: helix angle of the thread.
F: The screw is loaded by an axial compressive force.
N is the normal force.
Ff = u N: Friction force equation.
l: lead = No of thread starts x pitch
Tr: torque required to overcome the thread friction and to raise the load.
To : The torque required only to raise the load when the friction is zero.
a : alpha, lead angle.

Torque required for an Acme-threaded power screw, pg7:
Tr = (((F/cos a) x dm) / 2) x ( (l + pi x u x dm x sec a) / (pi x dm – u x l x sec a) ):

Variables:
F = 5 lbs
a = 63.00 deg
dm = 0.812”
l = 5.00”
u = 0.08

Tr = (((5 lbs/cos 63 deg) x 0.812”) / 2) x ( (5.00” + 3.1415 x 0.08 x 0.812” x sec 63 deg) / (3.1415 x 0.812” – 0.08 x 5.00” x sec 63 deg) ):

Tr = 4.4715 x ( 5.4495 / (2.551 – .8811) )
Tr = 4.4715 x ( 5.2142 / 1.6699 )
Tr = 4.4715 x 3.1225
Tr = 13.96 lb-in

Summary:
The stepper motor can deliver 26.75 lb-in, and we require 13.96 lb-in to move 5 lbs per stepper motor, or 5 lbs x 3 motors = 15 lbs.
You have about ~48% more torque than is required.
But if you derate the motor by half then you will stall the motor, which I think you said you plan to do?

So we can't work with a total system weight of 15 lbs, it would be OK to have a max system weight of ~7 lbs given this stepper motor.

Note: the max weight has to include the weight of the arms, bearings, extruder, etc.
[www.eng.auburn.edu]"]
April 30, 2014 11:33AM
Extremely useful piece of information, A2! Thank you!
Actually, I never saw so good explanation for the problems of the screws.. smiling smiley
Best regards!
Bobby
April 30, 2014 01:27PM
Here is a beefy 3/8" ACME with 20TPI. This solution would cost $40 (This counts the screw, nut, and bearings.) and would get you direct drive resolution of 6um/step and if you get a 400steps/rotation stepper instead of the standard 200steps/rotation you can push that to 3um. This is only using fullsteps. If your target is 25um accuracy then I would suggest targeting a resolution that is an order of magnitude smaller so 3um resolution should do it. I know that the backlash sounds scary but from experience you will not witness any ill effects with your given setup. "Premature optimization is the root of all evil"

IMHO, you can get the anti-backlash ballscrew and you can gear it down but at the end of the day you probably won't get the same accuracy (or at best get the same accuracy) and will have more things that could go wrong. The zero backlash would help if you had the printer on a vibrating table or the xy movement setup some nasty resonances.

BTW, there is a lot of chatter about how screws can cause banding and other issues. If you rigidly mount both ends of your rails and leave one end of your screw free, there is no chance of this causing you grief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 01:29PM by nicholas.seward.

ConceptFORGE
April 30, 2014 03:36PM
BTW, there is a lot of chatter about how screws can cause banding and other issues. If you rigidly mount both ends of your rails and leave one end of your screw free, there is no chance of this causing you grief.[/quote]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- you are definitely wrong if you have unsupported round rails and even if the screw is only attached at the motor and as it turns it will bow the rods and cause banding. I don't know how many mechanical machines you designed in your life I have designed hundreds. Round unsupported rods are very weak as far as deflecting a few thousands probably only a few ounces of push in the middle of a 12 inch span will cause enough deflection to create banding

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 03:37PM by cnc dick.
A2
April 30, 2014 03:56PM
Tks Nicholas, nice thread.
Your values helped me see what Envision Tec did to achieve their Z-axis resolution. I'm focused on a belt-pulley solution, and didn't give it much thought.

It would be nice if we could find a metric screw so the math generates whole numbers.
If you could have one metric thread, what diameter and pitch would it be?

Z-axis resolution using a Roton screw:
Lead: .050 (in./rev.) (1.27000254 mm).
200 steps * 32 micro steps = 6400 steps/rev.
The lead screw will move a distance of: 1.27000254 mm/6400 steps = 0.0001984 mm per step, (0.1984389 um or 0.00000781 in), that's ridiculous for plastic tongue sticking out smiley

I'm going to use a DLP projector with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels.
If I use the same build envelope as Envision Tec SLA machine 40 mm x 30 mm (1.58” x 1.18”) my XY resolution would be:

X: 40 mm/ 1920 pixels = .021 mm/pixel, (21 micrometer or 0.00082 in).
Y: 30 mm/ 1080 pixels =.028 mm/pixel, (28 micrometer or 0.00110 in).

Envision Tec XY resolution is .031 mm, (31 µm or 0.0012”).

So do you need 20 tpi? I don't see any reason for the Z-axis needing a higher resolution than the XY axis, do you have any thoughts on this?

@BoByS: tks for the kind words. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 04:01PM by A2.
April 30, 2014 08:12PM
@cnc dick: I did a quick napkin calculation for 12" long 12mm rods that are doubly supported. If you apply a 0.2lb side force you get about a 30um deflection in the worse case scenario. This adds up to a 60um possible difference between layers. That is admittedly pretty bad. I have designed/built a few (not hundreds) machines and the screws are not producing anywhere near that amount of side force. Bottom line: rods are bad if accuracy really matters. (I put 3"x3' rails on one of my machines because it was cheaper than any of the more rigid solutions. Even 3" rails barely meet my loose spec.) Since he plans on using mitsumi rails it doesn't really matter. The point I really care about making is that there is no reason to support both ends of the screw in this situation. (People with really thin rails or a Wallace style printer will get banding if they look at the printer wrong.)

@A2: The smallest metric screw of similar dimensions that I could find has a pitch of 2mm which gives you 10um/fullstep with a standard stepper.

So calculating with microstepping can be misleading. Performing a microstep doesn't mean the shaft actually turns. It just rotates the magnetic field. With any given position you can wiggle around up to a halfstep before you skip over to the next position. The restoring force goes up as you move away from the nominal position. So you might need a few microsteps before the restoring force is enough to overcome static friction. Bottom line: The best you can count on is +/- halfstep. One would want this possible positioning error to be substantially less than the target precision if you are going to compensate for the error in the thread form.

ConceptFORGE
A2
May 01, 2014 12:13AM
@Nicholas, good points about the realities of stepper motors, and their ability to resolve. I'm not going for anything as precise as the numbers calculated above, but it has got me thinking about my expectations.

In particular the XY, and Z axis resolution ratio. Because I don't have anything better to go on, I'm going to use an old rule of thumb taken from thread depth engagement, and require that that the Z-axis resolution should be >=2.5X the resolution of the XY-axis.

Resolution:
Ex.: XY-axis resolution 0.02540 mm, (0.0010 in), then Z-axis resolution will be 0.02540 mm/2.5 = 0.01016 mm, (0.0004 in).
200 step stepper motor, and no micro stepping.
Thread pitch/200 steps = linear advancement.
Thread pitch/200 steps = 0.00040 in.
Thread pitch = 0.00040 in * 200 steps = 0.080 in, (2.04 mm) or 12.5 threads per inch.

Roton sells a 10 mm x 2 mm pitch Trapezoidal thread, $11.83 \ft
[www.roton.com]

Or a 3/8-12, or a 3/8-16 thread.
[www.roton.com]

Z-axis linear advancement = Thread pitch 2.0 mm/200 steps = 0.010 mm.
XY resolution: 0.010 mm * 2.5 mm = 0.025 mm.
Build envelope (X-axis): ?-mm/1920 pixels = 0.025 mm = 48 mm.
Build envelope (Y-axis): ?-mm/1080 pixels = 0.025 mm = 27 mm.

If I can't come up with some thing clever, I'll be forced to use a threaded rod for the Z-axis to over come the separation force of 199 lbs. As a GT2 belt is not designed for more than 5.8 lbs force. So I need a tilting, and/or sliding vat to over come the Van der Waals force.

GT2 belt: 2 mm pitch, 6 mm wide, Allowable Working Tension Per 1 Inch of Belt Width 25 lbs (111 N).
25.54 mm/6 mm = 4.26, 25 lbs /4.26 = 5.8 lbs.
[www.sdp-si.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 03:04AM by A2.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login