Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Greg's wade v4 - Design problem? [Solved]

Posted by BoByS 
Greg's wade v4 - Design problem? [Solved]
April 28, 2014 11:05AM
Dear friends!
I'm building my first 3D printer (version of the popular Prusa i3). But I discovered a design mistake with it's extruder ("Greg's Wade v4" or "Jonas's extruder"). Am I the only one who have this problem (see the picture below)? Actually, I was searching on the Internet about this and discovered that some people put only 2 screws in the extruder's body, but in my case, there is only one screw that I can put in the all 3 slots. Any idea for a solution?
When I put 2 screws, my motor stops completely and can't turn (too tight toothing)... I'm sure that I will need some sort of filing down the slots to increase the gear's gap, but if you give me smart advice I will be very happy! smiling smiley

Best regards!
Bobby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 12:36PM by BoByS.
Re: Greg's wade v4 - Design problem?
April 28, 2014 02:55PM
How dimensionally accurate are your prints? Occam's Razor says that if everyone else can get the motor to attach properly and your's can't, then it's probably not a design flaw and rather it's a print flaw.
April 28, 2014 03:23PM
I'm so sorry, but I can't give you an answer for your question... Thanks for the quick respond... I bought them Online as a kit (only for the plastic parts) so I don't have a reference point. sad smiley Everything else fits nice (not perfect but nice) and I have some troubles only with the extruder...
I don't have the 3D models (I will try to import them from the STL files - today I was able to do this) to make some sort of a plate between the motor and the extruder's body.
For now, I'm thinking about how to fix it... smiling smiley

Best regards!
Bobby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2014 03:25PM by BoByS.
April 28, 2014 09:52PM
There is no design flaw. Normally, the large gear has several washers located between it and the extruder front bearing. This gives plenty of room for the motor screws to be located. I have attached a pic to show what I mean (usually only 2 to 4 washers). Looking at your pic, it seems to me you are using cap head screws - round head ones should be used and these should sink into the cavity of the bolt hole and sit below the surface of the extruder where they cannot interfere with the gear.

April 29, 2014 12:35PM
waitaki
There is no design flaw. Normally, the large gear has several washers located between it and the extruder front bearing. This gives plenty of room for the motor screws to be located. I have attached a pic to show what I mean (usually only 2 to 4 washers). Looking at your pic, it seems to me you are using cap head screws - round head ones should be used and these should sink into the cavity of the bolt hole and sit below the surface of the extruder where they cannot interfere with the gear.

Dear waitaki!
Thanks for your help! Actually, I don't have any problem with the washers and I easily adjusted the distance between the gears on the shaft of the hobbed bolt.
My hobbed bolt is not so good but I hope that it will not be a problem for the filament (I'm still awaiting it for arrive via Post Office).

I solved the problem by just filing down like a quarter of a millimeter from the holes of the extruder's body. I think that I didn't clean it properly in the first time. smiling smiley I'm using DIN912 M3x10mm screws for the motor and they are fine for the slots.

My suggestion for other builders: Be sure that you clean up every single hole in your 3D printed parts carefully and with patience! This will save you a lot of headaches!

Best regards and many thanks!
Bobby
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login