Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Toothed Gear Disaster!

Posted by twicx 
Toothed Gear Disaster!
January 30, 2014 03:02PM
Hey folks,

I had a minor disaster today. I ordered 2 new toothed/hobbed gears for use in a new dual-extruder design I'm working on. First problem was that I ordered ones with a 5mm bore, when the motor shaft is 6mm (/facepalm). So when they arrived, I thought "Oh I'll just drill them out" not realising that in doing so, i broke through where the teeth are, destroying the gear. So both are pretty much for the bin.

Replacement ones are non-existant in Ireland, so it looks like I'll have to order new ones, but they're not exactly expensive. HOWEVER, I ordered a new RUMBA board recently, which came with a bunch of spare GT2 pulleys. Now, I know there's less teeth on them, but there's far more space to bore them to 6mm. So I put this question to you wise and knowledgable people, with a good tensioning system (a good bearing to go with the gt2) could I get away with using those as a gear to feed the fillament?
Re: Toothed Gear Disaster!
January 31, 2014 06:31PM
Or grind the Stepper motor axis until it's 5mm, since most of the stepper motors have this size and it will be hard to get gears for 6mm rods?

At least, thats what I think.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login