Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repstrap materials question

Posted by Tornadoboy 
Repstrap materials question
November 04, 2009 09:12AM
Hi everybody, here's a dumb question:

What's the thickness of the material for the repstrap stage platforms and bearing arms supposed to be? I can't seem to find it in the instructions anywhere, although I get the impression it's not critical but I thought I had better ask anyway, especially for the bearing arms where bolts might stick out too much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2009 09:20AM by Tornadoboy.
Re: Repstrap materials question
November 19, 2009 01:59AM
I had the same question, but I figured I'd try it out with 1/4" - 3/8" stock.

I just assembled the X-stage of a McWire using a $2 8.5X11 cutting board from WalMart that is just under a quarter inch thick (probably right around 6mm). These seem to be working ok, you just have to be careful that the countersink doesn't go too far or it'll start to go through and widen up the 5/16 hole too much.

I can post pics later if needed.

--
Nik
Re: Repstrap materials question
November 22, 2009 12:20PM
I picked up a sheet of 1/4" MFD from Home Depot yesterday and going to try it with that, they have acrylic sheets of that thickness for $18 that were only big enough for two of the platforms, but the MFD was only $5 and was more than enough. If it doesn't work out I'll bite the bullet and do it over with the acrylic, and I think I'm going to make the bearing arms out of a 8' strip of 1/4" aluminum bar, it's pricey but I like working with aluminum and it'll leave me enough material for a few other projects.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login