Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

alternatives to nozzil - hyperdermic needles

Posted by stephen george 
alternatives to nozzil - hyperdermic needles
October 12, 2009 02:35AM
Hi

Has anyone considered hyperdermic needles for the nozzle of the extruder?

I assume they are cheap. Can be easily cutdown to size with snippers and if
made from steel would take having hot plastic shoved down them by a stepper motor.

Looking at [wapedia.mobi]

Guage 23 has an outer size of 0.64mm and an inner of 0.337mm
Guage 34 has an inner size of 0.08mm for super high resolution plastic delivery.

Probably get them free at the needle exchange ..... Yep I am a reprap addict and I need my fix.

Just a thought.

But if it worked creating a nozzle with 8 high precision outputs would not be far away. (I am thinking of the 8 pin dot matrix printer style here)

Stephen
VDX
Re: alternatives to nozzil - hyperdermic needles
October 12, 2009 03:21AM
... i tried with high viscous fluids (nearly like tooth paste) and even thinner needles (until 0.1mm outer- and 0.06mm inner diameter).

I had to cut the needles complete down and still had some issues with viscosity.

As friction is even more a problem with molten plastics you should try with thicker needles cut short.

For adapting the needles you have to use Luer-Lock-adapters from steel or you'll receive big problems with heating the tip and slipping free when applying pressure.

Much better will be adapters from copper or brass, but i think you have to make them on your own or lathe and drill a treaded brass-rod and fix the needle with a nut ...

Viktor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 03:24AM by VDX.
October 12, 2009 04:57AM
reply thanks for the advice.

Stephen
October 12, 2009 10:05AM
Needles are cheap, if you can legally purchase them. Here in California if you go into a chemists and try to buy one they will just about call the police unless you have a doctor's prescription. Doctors are very hesitant to prescribe them for non-medical uses.

This is bizarre in that the California gov't provides clean needles free to people using illegal drugs.

That said, you can go to the vet counter of any good feed store and get them as long as you sign a waiver that you will not be using them on humans. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
October 12, 2009 11:49PM
There is a company called "Small Parts, Inc." that sells needles online. I'm not sure if they sell the sharp injection type or not, but I have ordered blunt needles from them that were 28 gauge. I seem to remember that they had the blunt needles with luer lock from sizes 10 to 32 gauge. The price was reasonable, they shipped fast, and because they were blunts there was no paperwork involved.

A word of caution about using needles under high pressure though. I've seen the metal needle part come flying out its plastic luer lock end due to a high pressure situation when the needle got clogged. So if you are going to test with them, please wear safty glasses and heavy clothes. Blunt or not, under high pressure, the needles become flying darts when they break loose.
VDX
October 13, 2009 03:32AM
... when used with FDM you can't work with the plastic versions eye popping smiley

For the same reason i mentioned luer lock adapters made from steel or fixing nuts on a brass-tube.

Another interesting source are the nozzles from micro-plasma-welding - they're made from copper, have a common thread and inner diameters down to 0.1mm ... the drawbacks could be the price for single counts or the high thermal mass ...

Viktor
November 01, 2009 04:33PM
Viktor,

take a look at these... used for solder paste dispensing

SMD solder paste dispenser needles

price is really an issue, they go for something around 25€ each (vieweg). The normal alu hub stainless steel needle versions are way cheaper.
VDX
November 02, 2009 03:11AM
Hi energetic,

... look here, at the last page: [www.globaco.de]

When you grind the tubes short, you can dispense extreme viscous pastes too and the smallest ID is 0.172mm (0.0068 inch) - but then you're highly limited by viscosity too eye rolling smiley

Viktor
November 02, 2009 06:20PM
Yep,

vieweg lists them at even higher prices than the aluminum ones i think.
There is a really cheap variant with al hub and stainless tip here:
aluminum hub/ stainless steel tip

even if they add 1 € for purchasing them in quantities of 1-2, they are really cheap.

Remains the problem with viscosity...

Does MOLDLFLOW do academic versions? This would be extremely handy in terms of material properties, they are usually a pain to aquire (cross-WLF) without MF.

There is a nice tool here that converts cross-WLF parameters into power law parameters for a quick estimate.
power law fitter
the rest is written in any good injection molding tool design handbook ( the books from Walter Michaeli are very good).

I did a quick spreadsheet, so no guarantee on typing errors or twisted parameters in formulas for now grinning smiley.

I put in the cross-wlf parameters for ABS (at least i think, its late grinning smiley), this definetly needs to be replaced with accurate values from MF database.

Cheers,

Torsten
Attachments:
open | download - pressure drop.xls (43.5 KB)
VDX
November 03, 2009 03:27AM
Hi Torsten,

... thank you for the infos!

The problems with viscosity at very fine nozzles are the main reason why i'm working with fluids and pastes at room-temp instead of FDM eye rolling smiley

For an even smaller/finer application i developed a sort of pico-dispenser capable of dispensing droplets in micron-size (or even in submicron-size spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ) - look here: [dev.forums.reprap.org] at the atached image "Folie3.jpg".

The array is made from single droplets of an extreme high viscouse glue (something like 40000 MPa or the consitsency of tootpaste) with a diameter of 30 microns and heighth below 10 microns - the first droplet in the lowest row is bigger ... here i stacked 3 times ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login