Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Skewed print of gear wheel - other prints OK

Posted by jamesd256 
Skewed print of gear wheel - other prints OK
December 10, 2013 05:12PM
Hi,

I'm trying to print a bevel gear, and it's coming out a bit distorted.

I do have some minor calibration issues with cubes, but it seems much worse on this print.

The gear has an internal hexagon shape to accept a bolt/nut, and it's here where you can really see the issue. Picture attached. Hopefully you can see that 2 sides of the hexagon are much longer than the others.

The faces of these longer sides are oriented diagonally with respect to x and y, so it is not a simple matter of x or y being out.

Using Repetier Host, when I tell the printer to move in X or Y in manual mode, the moves are accurate to below 1%, so it's just this gear that goes wrong.

My steps per mm are calibrated for all axes and extruder, my stepper drivers are trimmed correctly, my bed is nicely level. Other objects I've printed are near perfect.

Any clue where the calibration issue might lie?

I am using the latest versions of Repetier host and firmware under Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks

James

Re: Skewed print of gear wheel - other prints OK
December 11, 2013 09:34AM
This is backlash on one (or both axis).

Check that your belts are adequately tight and there is no slop in them.

-Rob A>
December 11, 2013 10:22AM
Thanks very much. Makes sense.

I actually have a metal rack and pinion drive on both X and Y, and there is a bit of lash in the mechanism.

I have seen the backlash settings in the firmware I think, so I'll play with those.
December 16, 2013 04:16AM
Thanks again. I managed to reduce lash mechanically on the rack and pinion to less than 0.1 mm, and the problem has gone away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login