Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are there any all moving table printers?

Posted by leadinglights 
Are there any all moving table printers?
November 08, 2013 03:49AM
Are there any designs which use an all moving table? I know that this seems a bit back to front as almost every endevour is to make the build stage stationary and move the nozzle, but if your hot end is going to be really really heavy then it would seem logical to move the build stage in X and Y (and possibly Z)

The reason that I wish to do this is to connect a big Mecmesin force gauge and a little filament movement doohicky to a hot end to characterise the behavior of different hot end designs. I have done some initial tests, but only with a nozzle squirting into air - so not like in hot blood.

If there is already a design for a printer with an all moving bed then I can spend a couple of days in copying somebody elses design rather than weeks stomping around cussing like Yosemite Sam because I cant find a way to connect part "J to thingy "W".

Mike
Re: Are there any all moving table printers?
November 08, 2013 04:04PM
One thing you could do is to take an established Delta design (like Rostock) and turn it upside down. Mount the hot end to what would normally be the build platform, and install the build platform on the "carriage" where the hot end would normally go.
November 08, 2013 04:07PM
Here ya go, these guys actually did it: Upside Down 3D Printer Printing Upside Down
November 08, 2013 04:09PM
November 08, 2013 05:21PM
Much better suggestions than the old Makerbot Cupcake.
November 08, 2013 06:22PM
Dale Dunn
Much better suggestions than the old Makerbot Cupcake.

Although that's a fine idea too. smiling smiley Files here.
November 09, 2013 12:04PM
I thought that [reprap.org] would give some pointers, although the list is certainly not complete. The Cupcake is also categorised wrongly I think.

But there are very few XYZ bed designs listed there, I count 2, one of which is a concept, the other being Cupcake.

What is Open Source?
What is Open Source Hardware?
Open Source in a nutshell: the Four Freedoms
CC BY-NC is not an Open Source license
November 11, 2013 04:15AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I will build something loosely based on the Cupcake, although I love Delta printers, I think Cartesian in this case, possibly with the table X and Y driven by a cable Corex mechanism.
I will also try to build it as a printer and not just a test rig as anything that needs a bucketload of hotends would benefit from a moving table geometry.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login