Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone know about Cams?

Posted by Coherent 
Anyone know about Cams?
October 20, 2013 01:21AM
I saw this totally bad-ass multi extruder that only uses 3 motors:
[www.thingiverse.com]
I was thinking about making one and I was hoping to redesign it with a standard cam. Does anyone know where you can buy these? When i google search rotary cam, camshaft, etc I get cam shafts for Cars or Motorcycles and I can't find any small ones that would be suitable for this kind of application. I was thinking that if you used 1.75mm filament you could stack a bunch of these cams and interface them to a bunch of j-heads or some other extruder directly.

What do you think? Thanks!
Re: Anyone know about Cams?
October 20, 2013 03:28AM
There are so many types of cams out there, can you fabricate one out of aluminum plate?

Or, thin steel; if more strength is needed?
A2
October 20, 2013 10:39AM
That is a custom turned cam profile.

Work around:
Print an over sized cam profile out of Nylon.
Design a pocket to retain a nut for a set screw.
Press fit the cam over a steel rod, and lock it in place with a set screw.
Then attach a driven gear to the end of the steel shaft to mate with the stepper motor driver gear as depicted in the video.

A2
October 20, 2013 01:49PM
A2- I am having trouble visualizing what you are saying. You first print the part out of nylon and you make a space for a nut trap. How do you press fit the nylon cam and a steel rod? Both are cylindrical things right? Isn't that just like putting two cylinders together? I don't understand how it helps you.

Metalmann- I am not sure how i could make a cam out of a metal plate. I could see making one out of a metal cylinder but i don't really have the tools for that which is why I wanted to buy a stock cam.

I was mainly concerned with trying to figure out where I could buy stock mini cams that could be adapted for this solution. I saw that someone made a cam out of roller bearings which is cool but I wanted something a little more streamline:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Thanks for the input everyone!
A2
October 20, 2013 02:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 02:14PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_193 Oct. 20 14.07.jpg (16.9 KB)
October 20, 2013 02:25PM
A picture is worth 1000 words, thank you! Would the metal shaft be notched or grooved so that the set screw would get a good grip? Also, why is nylon a better option than PLA?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 02:28PM by Coherent.
A2
October 20, 2013 03:54PM
Nylon is a replacement to bronze/brass gears, i.e. it's good for wear and pressure applications.
A flat or a spot drilled hole would be beneficial.

3 more ideas:
Use a keyed shaft.
Use a threaded rod with locking nuts on either side of the cam.
Probably the easiest and strongest would be to simply drill a hole in a steel slug slightly off center, this would act as a cam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 03:57PM by A2.
October 20, 2013 06:02PM
Those are great ideas. Do you happen to know if companies just sell those eccentric cams for putting on a keyed shaft and if so which ones? I would hate to do the equivalent of printing a toothed pulley for the Y axis when you can just buy one that is significantly more reliable. With that said, I will certainly buy some Nylon so I can try this out, thanks again!
A2
October 20, 2013 06:23PM
Search for:
Eccentric Cam Bolt, I'm not sure how you would get 3 of them to work together.
Wheel Alignment Toe Bolt Kit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 06:26PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_196 Oct. 20 18.11.jpg (36.1 KB)
open | download - ScreenHunter_195 Oct. 20 18.10.jpg (18.3 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login