Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smooth rod straightness requirement, how straight ?

Posted by Farmer 
Smooth rod straightness requirement, how straight ?
September 23, 2013 07:55AM
Have you measured your smooth rod straightness, so that it could be presented in any clear way ? If i roll my rods on a glass plate, yes there is some really minor movement, but in my oppinion no major fault.

I do have a dial indicator so that i can get, maybe, somekind idea of the play when turnin the rods on a glass, but what would be the minimum "goal" that i could accept to be straight enough ?
Re: Smooth rod straightness requirement, how straight ?
September 24, 2013 09:12AM
If the rods are curved (they always are to some extent), your axes will do that curve, too, and your prints will reflect that. In essence, you can allow as much rod curvature as you're willing to have surface curvature in your printed parts.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 25, 2013 12:45PM
The rods need need to be straighter than the minimum clearance between the bushings and rods for each pair of rods on an axis. If the rods are bent beyond that, you can at least try to make the bends parallel to get the curvature Traumflug describes. After that, the straightness requirement is a matter of what you can tolerate in your builds. Keep in mind, bent X and Y axes will cause bed levelling difficulties, limiting how low your first layer can be.
October 13, 2013 11:42AM
Here is a good source for shafting:

[www.boschrexroth-us.com]

.250 diameter on up....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login