Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea: A metal forming bot

Posted by dudesom 
Idea: A metal forming bot
September 06, 2013 08:24PM
Now that metal casting has been improved by 3d printing (lost pla), why not blacksmithing?

After looking at other options for machine structure, I think that a polar robot would be best. In my mind, it would be similar to a lathe; the toolhead would be equipped with a hammer and a torch, and the toolhead would be positioned below the workpiece.

The spindle would be turned very slowly (compared to a lathe). This would be the X dimension, (or whatever) and the toolhead would travel for the Y and Z directions (as with a typical metal lathe).

The workpiece would start as a bundle of wires and it would be hammered slowly into the shape of whatever was required. As the workpiece is heated with the torch it would soften but not melt. The small hammer on the toolhead, actuated via solenoid, would then rapidly beat the workpiece until the work was in the correct shape.

It's important to note that this would be an open loop system. In the same way that normal printers lay down plastic so that it deforms to the correct hight for each layer, this machine too would have a level of error correction. Once a spot was hammered in enough it would cease to deform, as it would be only barely within the hammer's stroke. It would indeed still take multiple passes but I imagine that it would still be faster than DMLS, (but obviously not as flexible).

Thoughts? Ideas? At this point I don't have the experience or the money to pursue such a machine but I thought I'd ask if something like this has been done.
Re: Idea: A metal forming bot
September 08, 2013 02:01PM
After thinking a little more about it, I think that other "blanks" could be used instead of bundled wire. Perhaps Metal Foam or a roll of expanded steel could be used, for instance. The only requirement would be that the blank would have enough space inside for the metal that's being hammered in.

Another thought that has occurred to me is that oxidation would be a real problem, due to high surface area. A blanket of inert gas should probably fill the build chamber.
September 15, 2013 07:18PM
That basic idea sounds like this thing that Ford made.
[www.equipmentworld.com]
It doesn't use a hammer, it just has a little bead push the metal into a new shape through direct pressure, but aside form that it's similar.

Keeping the work piece the right temperature would be interesting.
September 18, 2013 12:33AM
Thanks for the link! I think you're defiantly right about the challenge of keeping things hot. Perhaps cold forming would be this system's forte.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login