Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about pulleys

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Question about pulleys
June 16, 2009 05:11AM
I have a newbie question:
1) How do I join the 7959K21 Mcmaster MXL .080" pulley cable together? Do I need some special connector and what part number at Mcmaster is it?
2) McMaster 1375K39 is the drive pulley with a set screw for the stepper motor with 1/4" bore. I need a pulley on the other end of the rod with the same number of teeth (20) but a hub in the middle instead of a set screw right? It seems this simple part should be pretty inexpensive but people are forming them themselves out of a mold. Can I just buy a pulley with a hub in it? Where do I get one of these instead of building it?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous User
Re: Question about pulleys
June 17, 2009 05:55AM
Just glue the pulley together. Use a scalpel to scrape the teeth off one end and the backing off the other (there are some fine steel wires in the middle, take care not to cut them), then overlap the ends and glue them. Do not use a cyanoacrylate glue ("super glue"), it will be too stiff. Get a natural rubber or neoprene-based glue, they're used in shoe repair and very effective at making flexible joints.

As for the pulleys - mould them, really. You can use an epoxy glue, readily available at any hardware store. There are some epoxies advertised as "liquid metal" etc., they're expecially good for this.

Oh, and you don't need a reprapped mould, just get a piece of wood and drill it with a 5/8" or so spade drill to the depth equal to your preferred pulley height, then drill a through hole in the center for the shaft, with a 1/4" metal drill (a brad drill would wander too much in the hole created by the spade drill's pilot point).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login