Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Microscope for axes?

Posted by nave.notnilc 
Microscope for axes?
June 03, 2009 04:32PM
I have a pair of old-ish optical microscopes gathering dust in my basement, one has an X/Y axes with movement of 76mm x 52mm, the other has a Z axis with movement of 55mm. This is comparatively very small, but the action is very smooth, and there is some very nice gearing inside. I'm on a tight budget, and mostly just want something to play with.

Has this source of parts occured to anyone else, and has anyone tried it? Any pertinent thoughts from anyone with RepRap building experience?

EDIT: remeasured for exact move distances. also, pics at my blog: [lowendelec.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 05:24PM by nave.notnilc.
Re: Microscope for axes?
June 03, 2009 04:38PM
Never heard of a microscope with a positioning stage that big. Sounds wonderful! :-)

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
June 03, 2009 05:28PM
It might be kinda slow, but you should get some amazing resolution! Try lashing up a printer stepper to one of the knobs, maybe with some sort of tubing and hose clamp coupler, and see if you can get enough torque to turn the stages. It would be a very easy way to make 76 by 52 by 55 mm objects!

Wade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2009 06:51PM by Wade Bortz.
VDX
June 03, 2009 05:35PM
... i too have an old tool-measuring microscope waiting for some rework - look at the images here: [forums.reprap.org]

But with my CNC-mill working (and waiting to went a repstrap) i delayed the conversion ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login