Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New machine build - block and tackle style belt drive for z axis?

Posted by quickness 
New machine build - block and tackle style belt drive for z axis?
August 15, 2013 04:19PM
I am working on a new build. I was considering using a belt drive for my z axis. The following image shows a system of pullies that move the gauntry up and down. The belt would be attached to the gauntry on the right side.

This will give a mechanical advantage of about 6:1. The block and tackle style pulley system would reduce the required torque at the motor and give a smaller minimum layer height. Has anyone tried something similar? Do you see any problems with this design?
Re: New machine build - block and tackle style belt drive for z axis?
August 16, 2013 04:28AM
Thought about a similar principle but with another background -

Building a cross axis Y on X normally requires a motor for the y axis on the X axis - which increases mass on the X axis
The upon method could ( in case that x and y motors would be installed on the baseplate and the y motor would be driven in differential way in relation to the X Mmotor prevent this mass. problem ( the y Motor would have to work somway more but the x axis would just have to carry the building plate load + the someway longer belt!! ( and cabling would also be easier!)

However this would probably need coding as I dont know, if differential drive would be embedded in any Firmware...

Hj

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 04:32AM by Optimist.
August 17, 2013 06:05AM
Hi quickness,

i guess it would work, but to my opinion it's a very complicated desig. Which advantage do you see in using a belt for the Z-axis instead of a screw?

Optimist,

there is an implementation for differential drive in some firmware, but id don't know if this would suit your setup. The implementation i know of is for the CoreXY-Setup. If it does not fit driectly it could possibly be adapted.

best regards

--- Lars ---
A2
August 29, 2013 02:06AM
@quickness

HBot has a routing similar to what you have.

Hbot
[www.youtube.com]

[3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]

[forums.reprap.org]
August 29, 2013 01:23PM
I see a combination of two problems. This will exert more force (by a factor of 3:2) on the end of the gantry to which the belt attaches, and it relies on bearings that may be widely separated to keep the gantry level. So, I think it will pull one side of the gantry higher and bind the bearings.

Have you seen the belt arrangements on some of the Tantillus variants?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login