Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hadron Z-Axis threaded rod advice

Posted by hobergenix 
Hadron Z-Axis threaded rod advice
July 31, 2013 01:59AM
I am getting close to completing my Hadron OrdBot and in the process of buying the threaded rod for the z-Axis. I purschased the 8mm shaft couplers and a Maker Slide stabelizer kit. Any suggestions on the threaded rod. I have 8mm threaded rod on ebay made from mild steel. Is their a particular material I should look for. I have also seen a few of the lead screw kits that cost about 60 dollars each that include the stepper motor as well. I already have the stepper motors. I am wondering if anybody knows of a good supplyier of lead screws M8 X 1.25 pitch with a 245 legnth. On ebay I have seen M8 lead screws from MetalWorx that are 18 inches long that I can cut down for two. Cost for those are about 8 dollars and up depending on the legnyth and alloy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike
Re: Hadron Z-Axis threaded rod advice
July 31, 2013 02:54AM
If you'd buy a leadcrew for finished ... the screw should be straight and fitted - at least by a Norm - to the nut. If you'd buy just threaded rod - it is usually suited for other purposes and so may have bows or similar ( that is the 8 bucks per meter version) with NEMA 17 or 14 - Forget all threads with just a little bow!

Next is that the offered variants of rods including the stepper Motors are carrying a BBsystem which in application is directly coupled to the load - but usually not specified in the datasheet. - Size of the bearing ( usually radial bearings) is usually responsible for the allowable axial load/ force . So be sure that whatever you want to lift doesn't exceed the posibilities of the BBs CG and C0 parameters. Or get a separate bearing on the Thread which you can maintenance or at least you can trust in! ( some of the Steppers have still AlNiCo Magnets onboard
which are to be magnetized within the backiron, but can mostly loose their strength when the motorhas to be disassembled in case of maintenance.

Hj
July 31, 2013 04:17PM
I was thinking the same thing about bargain lead screw. wheather it would be straight enough. The legnth of the right and left Z-axis threaded rods are 245mm. I can buy a 500mm threaded rod stainless for about 8 dollars plus shipping and cut it in half. The second optition is to go with the combo kits of motor, rod,threaded nut and flex coupler for about 60 dollars each. I bought the Maker Slide z-axis kit that is supposed to help. It comes with a press fitted threaded insert and it is mounted below the origional mounting block and able to slide freely. I was looking to get advice from some other builders before I ordered the bargain lead screw or wait untio I get some extra cash and go with the more expensive combo kits.

Mike
August 01, 2013 07:35AM
Is 245 the tread or including the necessary bearing ends - and how will you do those? is 500mm long enough??
August 01, 2013 05:30PM
The Ordbot Hadron build calls for two M8 x 245 threaded rods. I have seen it sold in 500mm legnths and I can cut it in half. It comes with out any nuts and is basic studding material. I have seen 5/16-18 threaded rod attached to a flex coupler sold on Ebay for about 18 dollars each. I am new to the 3D world and was not aware that I could use other pitch threads. I have just built up most of my frame and x-y mechanicall and fitting some z-axis lead screws was some of the last items on the list of things to do and I was just going with what the bill of materials called out.

Mike
August 08, 2013 04:17PM
For the first experimnental version of my printer I bought 1m M8x1.25 mm standard threaded rod from stainless material. - including 2pcs 30mm long VA nuts ( cut quality - not rolled) -payed about 7Euro for all!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 04:20PM by Optimist.
August 08, 2013 11:47PM
I ended up buying basically the same thing fot about same price. After I cut the two pieces in half I will end up with four rods. I also purschased a Z Axis stabelizer kit from the Maker Slide store. Your supposed to pop the threaded inserts out of the Z-Axix nut block. The Maker Slide arms sit underneath the nut blocks and allow the rod to move a little to make up for any wobble. Atleast thats the theory. I have not assembled any of it yet. Its my first 3D printer build and I work on it a little at a time. I will see how this works out before investing in more expensive Z- axis lead screws and nuts. I am just now making the Nut Blocks from scratch. I could not find any Delrin material locally so I ended up with some plexi material and just finished putting all the holes in it.

Mike
August 15, 2013 02:04AM
I have also seen a few of the lead screw kits that cost about 60 dollars each that include the stepper motor as well. I already have the stepper motors. I am wondering if anybody knows of a good supplyier of lead screws M8 X 1.25 pitch with a 245 legnth. .......

If want to learn web designing then join 70-291 web design course and download free 70-66 tutorials and 400-051 braindumps demos to learn how to create amazing background patterns for your web project.More details visit this page RIVERBED and also see on University of California, San Francisco ,best of luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login