Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printed bevel gears for electric outboard motor

Posted by oldmanbeefjerky 
printed bevel gears for electric outboard motor
June 17, 2013 06:54AM
hi,

recently i found an interesting fishing spot near this town i often go to for shopping and ect, its called sarina, small town. i found out theres a very wide and deep still water creek running right past the woolworths which i never noticed, i went down there and tried my luck fishing, but since i was restricted to only a single spot, a small spot ill add because of the insane jungle growth around the creek banks, i want able to do much, also that spot seems to have heaps of turtles which kept eating my bait, catching huge 5kg turtles is not fun.

Now, for a while ive been considering building an outboard for this inflatable boat i have. the boat itself does have an electric motor mount which is good and is designed to be used with a small motor like up to 2-5hp (its a 1-2 person boat, generally 1 adult though)

Now, i have this motor pulled from a kids ride on electric car, its a fairly heavy duty motor, it runs at nearly 20,000rpm and it has enough torque that its impossible to stall with my hands if im grabbing onto the shaft no matter how hard i try. i dont know the exact figures though but its quite strong.

Now, what i want to do is build an outboard motor with this motor, for the boat, the motor would sit ontop out of the water, it would then be reduced by half or so for extra torque, i dont need to go THAT fast, even half paddling speed is fine.
once reduced it would then attach to a bevel joint with two bevel gears, turning a vertical shaft which goes down into the water, then theres another bevel joint going from vertical back to horizontal, driving the propellor

now, ive looked about and found many different designs, but i dont know which will work for me.
what would you recommend is the best setup i use? like to i use big bulky gears, small gears, spiral, straight ect.

i dont mind noise, but i do want it to run smoothly so it doesnt wear out. what would be best to ensure the gears transfer energy with an acceptable effectiveness, and wear down the least? if need be i can set up a small dc pump which can constantly spray the gears with water or oil to stop them heating up/ keep them lubricated.

anyway, please let me know the best kind of bevel gear to use for building an electric outboard.

thanks
Re: printed bevel gears for electric outboard motor
June 19, 2013 05:42AM
deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 05:45AM by waitaki.
Re: printed bevel gears for electric outboard motor
July 02, 2013 03:19PM
Most electric troll outboards have the motor at the bottom underwater with a direct drive to propeller.
A waterproof case with a waterproof bearing out to the prop.
This also keeps the motor cool.

You could use Involute Bevel and Spur Gears
[www.thingiverse.com]

Bevel Gears
[www.thingiverse.com]

Spiral bevel gear
[www.thingiverse.com]

The plastic gears would have to be anchored to shaft well -- use key and slot

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login