Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linear slides

Posted by Annirak 
Linear slides
January 30, 2009 06:01PM
I've been trying to figure out what to use for linear slides. While this doesn't really suit my end goals, it makes so much sense to me that I can't pass it by; someone might be able to make good use of it.

Why not use drawer rails as linear slides?

These look nigh-on perfect:
[www.leevalley.com]
Re: Linear slides
January 30, 2009 06:27PM
The ones I have played with have lateral play. I think if you mounted one on its side and one vertical for each axis it would work.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2009 08:46PM
Drawer rails?
Like this?
[youtube.com]
[www.instructables.com]

Personally, I wanna use magnets:
[youtube.com]
[youtube.com]
sid
January 30, 2009 10:13PM
there are pretty good drawer rails, most likely those for full opening the drawer,
or in somewhat heftier size for sliding doors.
unfortunately those are not cheap; around 40 Euros per pair.
To be on the safe side you'll need 4 per axis sad smiley
So look twice.

Sometimes there are linear slides at ebay for ... well ...yes cheap'ish.
And if you're lucky enough cheaper than 4 per axis of really good drawer slides.

But may I ask why not use high quality steel rods and matching linear bearings?
Let's say you'll need a travel of 30cm, it's 4 linear bearing (6 each) and two rods (less than 5 each) and you'll only spend 34 Euros instead of 40 and have a better result.
( @ rod diameter of 10mm)
true for longer travels you should use bigger diamter rods.
And for perfect guidance four instead of two rods and eight instead of four bearings, but who needs something like that at all?

'sid
January 31, 2009 02:35AM
Eh, I'm going for aluminum C channels with skate bearings. I need the flat aluminum surface for position tracking and maybe drive.
February 10, 2009 08:20AM
I have used Draw slides on RepStrap Bertha. I was not able to feel any play with two slides on each axis. I will be using draw slides again on a larger CNC machine

Draw slides however are not so sutible for short axis movement like the Z axis for that I will use right angle alumininum with roller bearings.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
May 05, 2009 07:19PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ones I have played with have lateral play. I
> think if you mounted one on its side and one
> vertical for each axis it would work.

Just got a pair of slides from Lee Valley (like those linked above). I cannot feel any play at all. The bearings are held in very tight.
July 16, 2009 08:14PM
My repstrap uses a ball bearing slide from a small home-office type photocopier (the kind that moves a glass platen with the original on it). The slide looks very much like some kinds of drawer slides. It gives good results except for a subtle feature. It has a metal and plastic "ball cage" that holds the ball bearings in place. This moves back and forth about half the distance that the platen does. Sometimes after many (hundreds?, thousands?) of back and forth movements it moves to one extreme and starts running into the end of the slide. It doesn't come out or anything, but the force necessary to move it goes up dramatically. This exceeds what the stepper that I use for that axis can do, and my print job gets messed up. The cure is to move the platen from one extreme to the other and back (by hand) before any long prints.

You may well see this with drawer slides. It took me a long time to figure out, so I hope that this message saves someone some time.

Frank Davies
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login