Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What extruder motor to use for ABS?

Posted by daniel-kessel 
What extruder motor to use for ABS?
January 19, 2009 12:39PM
Hello everyone,

I have been extruding ABS for some time, and I am having problems with the GM3 motor that I have got from BitsFromBytes. I stalls quite frequently, effectively ruining prints that otherwise would work nice. Also, it makes a lot audible noise. This is hard to describe, but it makes me think it won't last very long.

I know some people are currently searching for new motors for the next generation.
Do you have any suggestions on another motor? It may need more torque because of the ABS. Preferably one would be easily available in Europe.
Solarbotics motors don't fall in this category. At least I have not found a European supplier.
Re: What extruder motor to use for ABS?
January 19, 2009 12:44PM
Good luck! eye popping smiley

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
January 19, 2009 01:43PM
I have been extruding ABS, HDPE, PCL and PLA with GM3's and not had them stall. My shaft encoder ramps up the power to full if it lags enough and the clutch would slip before it stalls at full power.

You can get stalling if you are trying to run slowly without a shaft encoder as you have to drop the power.

The 12V version of the GM3 lasts a few hundred hours before the brushes wear out.

Edit:
You can get the Solabotics motors from Technobots in the UK, if you count that as Europe, but they don't do the 12V GM3 which is a special that has to be ordered from Canada by phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 01:45PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 20, 2009 01:10AM
The low step size stepper motors are pretty high torque... not sure if the reprap control circuitry allows step control of the extruder motor though.
I'm certain the larger size 1.8 deg step size motors could turn a tiny screw thread.
Graham.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login