Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Recycling / reusing old machinery?

Posted by HanClinto 
Recycling / reusing old machinery?
January 16, 2009 04:18PM
As I'm collecting parts to build my first Repstrap, an opportunity came up at work today where I /might/ be able to obtain some old no-longer-used SMT machines.

Apparently there's a paste printer, a pick-and-place, and an oven.

My ability to acquire one of these machines is by no means guaranteed, but in theorizing about it, I was wondering: if you had access to a surplus specialized Cartesian robot such as the paste printer or the pick-and-place, what would you do?

A ) Would you extract the motors and lead screws alone?
B ) Would you gut it and ditch everything except for the core Cartesian assembly, wiring it up with new RepRap electronics? (Possibly salvaging and adapting the pick-and-place grabber as an attachable head [like the milling or extruding head]).
C ) Would you try to adapt the existing hardware and electronics "as-is" with as little hardware changes as possible?
D ) Something else I haven't thought of?

It seems silly to pitch a whole industrial robot to only keep the stepper motors -- what all might I expect to be useful from such a thing?

In the three R's of reducing, reusing, and recycling -- too often I think people focus on the usually-inefficient method of melt-down recycling before looking at the more desirable options of reducing and reusing. Re-use is very attractive to me, and being able to salvage an old industrial robot has a lot of potential in my mind.

On a side note, would such a thing be called a ScrapStrap? smiling smiley

Anyways, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

--clint
Re: Recycling / reusing old machinery?
January 16, 2009 05:28PM
I'd definitely keep the cartesian bot intact. I'm not sure how good the electronics are, but if they're already interfaced, I'd not be inclined to go reinventing the wheel.

Brendan
January 16, 2009 06:59PM
Assuming it was working I would keep it as an SMT line and churn out RepRap electronics. Use the profit to buy a kit for Darwin.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2009 08:44PM
But RepRap doesn't use SMT...
January 16, 2009 10:24PM
Annirak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But RepRap doesn't use SMT...

More and more it is.

Currently the Magnetic Rotary Encoder Kit is mostly SMT and version 2.2 of the stepper controllers will be:

[www.thingiverse.com]

If he is selling pre-built tested boards there are people who will buy them.

Basically a high quality chef's pan for even cooking/heating and a lid can be a SMT oven.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 10:27PM by freds.
January 17, 2009 06:56PM
I think one of the reasons why these machines are no longer in use is because the company that sold them to us is now out of business, and there aren't really people around who are trained in their use. Running my own SMT line would be cool, but I think I'm low on time, resources, and training for such a business. Still, I'll keep that option in mind.

If I could acquire such machinery, is this something that the RRRF could find useful? I'm really not much of an electronics guy -- I'm more of a programmer, and I only dabble in hardware.

Thanks for the input, all!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 06:58PM by HanClinto.
January 17, 2009 07:38PM
Well, it shouldn't be overly complex (once we have changeable toolheads) to build a paste printer and a pick&place reprap. With those in place, and a makeshift SMD oven, SMD should be no barrier to us.

Brendan
January 17, 2009 11:30PM
HanClinto Wrote:
>
> If I could acquire such machinery, is this
> something that the RRRF could find useful? I'm
> really not much of an electronics guy -- I'm more
> of a programmer, and I only dabble in hardware.
>
> Thanks for the input, all!

Where are you located?
January 19, 2009 12:02PM
freds Wrote:
> Where are you located?

Indiana, about an hour due east of Chicago
January 19, 2009 06:35PM
Well since you are in the states maybe Zach would be interested in it. Maybe in it's orginal functionality or as a source of parts/insperation for a RepRap prototype.

Since the foundation is non-profit it might be a tax deduction for your company.
January 20, 2009 09:38AM
There are a bunch of people in chicago putting together a "hacker space" where tools like this might be useful. they are a non-profit so maybe a donation like this could be tax-deductible.

They are called Pumping station one. they don't have a location yet, but they are getting everything lined up pretty quickly.

[pumpingstationone.org]

and there is also a google group.

[groups.google.com]

i'd say get in touch with one of the main people involved and see what they say. one is a lawyer and could probably give you some info on the donation/tax thing.

Andres
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login