Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exchangeable nozzle tip, variable orifice

Posted by Shafiqson 
Exchangeable nozzle tip, variable orifice
February 11, 2013 04:23AM
What if one was able to use the same hot end for different extrusion widths, ie ranging from for instance 0.25mm up to 1mm or even greater? This could increase the versatility of the hot end, so that one could make sturdy blocks or objects which could take som beating without giving in (1mm orifice), and use the same hot end to make objects where a higher degree of detail may be needed (0.25mm orifice). I came up with an idea that may address this need (or create it), see attached image in the link.

Check it out

I've looked to the J-head for inspiration. The heater block and all that is above it stays the same. The only change would be a small threaded tip/shaft where the nozzle usually is, and a matching female part for the nozzle with the desired orifice. This nozzle can be removed and fitted with another that has a different orifice. The nozzle has a little knob sticking out of it, so that it may easily be removed. Hence it is not totally conical.

I don't know if this makes sense, or if it does, is practically possible, but the idea has been bothering me for a while so I had to get it out of my mind.

- Shafiqson
[store.qu-bd.com]

I just ordered my first set of parts for my delta reprap.. (Not 100% sure which design I am going to use). I ordered this extruder not only for cost (SUPER great pricing) but that they use the same design you listed but the nozzel has a male instead of female thread. I ordered 1 .035 and 0 .040 nozzels. I am going to ream one of the .04 nozzels to .05-.06 I haven't made up my minde yet.

It should word if you do it! Good luck!
Re: Exchangeable nozzle tip, variable orifice
March 09, 2013 08:18PM
I've actually been designing and building a variation of the J Head hot end. Ive put a small thread like you said. For the nozzle I took solid brass acorn nuts and angle milled them to more of a nozzle shape. I'm also building 3 different size nozzles ranging from .25mm-.6mm. I'm also changing a few other things such as a better joint between the inner tube and the brass block. Essentially the temp changeover section. There is potential for slippage on the original version. If you want to see some of my build notes feel free. Also these are being milled in a professional shop and as soon as I'm done with extensive testing I will be offering these for sale with the adapter plates. Keep building and great post. Great minds must think alike.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login