Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Belting/pulley for a reprap mendelmax based cartesian robot

Posted by charles_west 
Belting/pulley for a reprap mendelmax based cartesian robot
October 15, 2012 06:26PM
Hello,

I'm working on a simple 2 axis pick and place robot. I'm fairly new at CNC and 3D printing in general and trying to find my way. I've gotten arduino based control for the NEMA 17 motors working and a simple non-powered mechanical together. I'm having some issues figuring out what belt and pulley head to buy though.

To have a belt drive for my machine, I need a loop about 2 meters in circumference. I am not sure, but I don't think the one used in the MendelMax (https://docs.google.com/a/ncsu.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao-fptzJAVfGdDdnd3htckhZUVdWUTdvRnJQUEJrMUE&hl=en_US#gid=0) is long enough for that and I don't know if it is possible to used two joined together. I'm also not sure if I should get a wider belt since I have it going further and moving a somewhat heavier bed.

If I may ask, does anyone know what sort of belt system I should use?

Thanks.
Re: Belting/pulley for a reprap mendelmax based cartesian robot
October 16, 2012 09:01AM
You should use use a belt system without play. For fast movements, making belt teeth smaller than their counterpart in the pulley is an advantage, but also makes the belt drive inaccurate and not suitable for printing.

There are many manufacturers where you can buy belts and pulleys off the shelf. Here in Germany we have e.g. Mädler.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login