Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hide filament -> enclosed design

Posted by HLA 
HLA
Hide filament -> enclosed design
September 30, 2012 06:49AM
Hi,

Was thinking of making the design of a RepRap neater by hiding the filament wire. It is basically an idea of making a fully enclosed 3D printer.

I am sure people thought of this before - I just don't seem to find any relevant threads.

The simplest way, off course, is to place a large cover on top of the machine, large enough to allow for the filament to travel unconstrained. However, this solution makes the machine seems to look 2x bigger - it's definitely not a sexy solution. The other (potential way) is to guide the filament wire in a spiral way around the extruder (similar to what is done on 3D Touch from Bfcool smiley. This creates a problem: bending/angles = friction, thus no speed-printing possible. I guess the later is more critical in case of a bowden extruder.

Any ideas?

HLA.

PS: I have been involved with DIY 3D printing for a while now, but never posted here until now.
Re: Hide filament -> enclosed design
September 30, 2012 02:06PM
A few months ago I've seen a design which puts the filament spool _under_ the printer. Looked good. Not sure if that works as well as it looks.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login