Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

working on cartisian table for simplification

Posted by RBisping 
Hello everyone, ive been working on a reprap/strap for a while now and have kind of gone back to the drawing board. i was getting too much friction on the xy plane for my tastes so.....

I started looking at the lathe table we have at work and a idea came to me for the xy stage that would be very simple and at the same time stable (I Believe).

start with a piece of angle iron/aluminum etc have it laid down with point up.
use 45 deg rollers on top of the piece of angle spaced aprox 24" apart (will make pictures when i get them finished). have the motor mount affixed at the end of the angle iron and the threaded rod drive attached to the roller carrage assy.

run two rigid legs at 90 deg from each roller aprox 36" long with regular flat rollers on the ends set to a height to keep the legs level. (may need to diagram to make this clear)

place second piece of angle iron on top of the leg closest to drive motor and have identical roller carrage setting on top of it with y axis motor mounted on x axis roller carrage.

.+-----=-----------=----------=
.| | |
.| | |
.| | |
.| | |
.| | |
.| | |
.| | |
.| |-----------|
.+-----^-----------^----------=

hopefully that comes out correctly in post. but its basicaly a pair of U's at 90 deg to each other.

this makes a generic xy table and only requires a extruder assembly mounted over it to complete.

My intent is to have the extruder z axis not directly coupled to the table its self. and likely the z axis mechenisim will incorporate something similar for maintaining rigidity. most likely a pair of peices of angle with points out (or in, havent decided yet) and two rollers on each side maintaining square.

any input would be appreciated.

Part of my reasoning for this is simplicity and some for easily changing the over all size by just increasing the length of the x axis angle and threaded rod. and also i see this as something that could posibly be printed in plastic some time in the near future. the rollers should be doable them selves and the v guides could also be printed i believe. leaving only the motors and threaded rods themselves as parts that cant be printed (yet) and im contemplating ways around those too smiling smiley

thanx in advance
Re: working on cartisian table for simplification
August 15, 2008 05:53AM
well, that didnt work how i wanted. all my white space got deleted

ill try to make a diagram and upload it as soon as posible
August 15, 2008 08:52AM
If you put code and /code tags in square brackets around your text it will keep the spaces. E.g.

<-- some spaces

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 15, 2008 02:06PM

.+-----=-----------=----------=
.|     |           |
.|     |           |
.|     |           |
.|     |           |
.|     |           |
.|     |           |
.|     |           |
.|     |-----------|
.+-----^-----------^----------=
August 16, 2008 12:10AM
yes, that was what i was diagraming smiling smiley
September 02, 2008 12:50AM
ok. here are some pictures of the guides i had in mind. still working on it though this should make it a little more clear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login