Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metal extruder gears

Posted by Dirty Steve 
Metal extruder gears
August 28, 2012 10:28PM
I'm looking for an easy to source set of metal drive gears for a Greg's / Wade's style extruder. I've been searching for a 4:1 helical gear set, but the one's I've found so far (RC car parts) are too small for a 5mm motor shaft and 8mm hobbed bolt.

I'm set up with a PLA set of herringbone gears and I think the PLA isn't going to handle my motor temps. Not extruding yet, but I have my machine in motion and the set screw in the drive gear is already backing out on test runs.

I posted in the Electronics section of the forum about my stepper temps.
Re: Metal extruder gears
August 28, 2012 10:37PM
I read your motor temp thread and thought that it was a little hot. I believe I have read that motors should not exceed 60c, but I may be wrong. One suggestion for a high temp alternative would be to use metal pulleys and a belt. Another would be to look at the laser cut gear sets used on laser cut Mendels and have them laser cut from metal.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 29, 2012 11:32PM
Why not just shove a 40mm fan behind the motor? Dirt cheap, and they keep the motor very cool so that they won't melt a thing.
September 03, 2012 02:34PM
DirtySteve, sdp-si.com has a large assortment of gears, although I'm not sure they'll have what you need OR if you're this side of the pond.

I was able to find a good selection of ~reasonably priced metal gears with a variety of bore sizes and mounting options, in stainless, brass and 2024 Aluminum. (the smaller one not quite so broad a selection)

a pair of 12tooth w/5mm bore for the motor and 48 tooth w/8 mm bore for the hobbed bolt (pitch 0.8) will cost you around $30 if I'm not mistaken. erm...plus whatever shipping, giving you roughly the same ratio as the printed set I have here (43 x10 => 4.3:1 ratio)

Anyway, it's one place to search. I'm guessing you know a bit more about the mechanics than I do, so please forgive any ignorance on my part with respect to particulars.

EDIT: I did not check the overall diameter, so using the gears I noted (or ones like them) may or may not meet the current motor-shaft to hobbed-bolt shaft distance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 04:23PM by xiando.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login