Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mechanical end stop

Posted by TonyPagett 
Mechanical end stop
February 15, 2017 12:03PM
I have four mechanical end stops with three wires each (red LED on activation) and have no problems with any of them.

However, I have a fifth end stop (limit switch with just two wires to pin and GND) and it keeps on playing up.

Sometimes I only have to touch the wires and the end stop activates.

Should there be a resistor tying the pin out to GND? or should this resistor be part of the RAMPS board?
Re: Mechanical end stop
February 15, 2017 01:20PM
Usually this is handled by the internal pullup resistors the Arduino supports. This might need to be enabled in the Firmware.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 15, 2017 01:38PM
Thank you Srek I thought I had read about the pull up resistors.
I will scour the firmware later to see the settings for end stops
March 05, 2017 07:56PM
actually how many end stop do we need on the 3d printer? its 3 is enough? ( x , y ,z axis )
March 06, 2017 01:53AM
In a cartesian printer one for each moving axis, so usually three. On my dual X printer i need four since it has independent printheads.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
June 08, 2017 09:16AM
2-wire endstops are usually a microswitch that opens when triggered, so the fact that it triggers when you touch your wires probably means that one of the wires or connectors is broken, so that the circuit opens when you move them slightly...
June 09, 2017 07:25AM
stevenkw1
actually how many end stop do we need on the 3d printer? its 3 is enough? ( x , y ,z axis )

Many printers use the Z probe to home the Z axis, which reduces the number of endstop switches to 2. The Ormerod printer uses just one, because the IR sensor used as the Z probe is also used to do X homing.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login