Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

silhouette scaning?

Posted by Buback 
silhouette scaning?
September 27, 2010 03:27PM
are there any projects out there that use the silhouette of an object to form a 3d model? it would not capture concave details like an open mouth or hole, but it would capture both sides of an object 180 degrees opposed. you would then have more data points with which to combine meshes (i.e. this method would create a base model on which you could lay laser scanned meshes.

i've attached a simple MS paint image of the setup if i haven't been clear. it seems simple so i assume someone has tried it.

also here's another DIY project i found. doesn't require a line laser. [www.melog.ch]
Attachments:
open | download - scan.jpg (16.8 KB)
Re: silhouette scaning?
September 27, 2010 03:35PM
well here's something i just found myself: Generating NURBS Surfaces
through 3D Silhouette Scanning [www.odec.ca]
VDX
September 27, 2010 03:59PM
... have you read this? - [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 27, 2010 04:48PM
yes, thank you, i have, but i didn't think the software worked in this way. I was actually going to post about this in that topic but didn't want to distract from Reece's software.

It seems like Reece's software determines a silhouette in software, and from your example picture, it needs some refining before it's generally usable. using an actually silhouette might be more accurate?

I'm also thinking that you can increase detail by projecting on a larger screen (as long as you maintain focus) but you will then have to play with scaling in software after the fact.

I'm assuming this type of system would be 2 stages: a series of passes with the light source and screen to get the silhouette, and another series with a laser to get textures and concave shapes that refine the first pass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login