Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bespoke Leather Shoes with 3D Scans

Posted by Saint-Jean 
Bespoke Leather Shoes with 3D Scans
October 10, 2014 05:09AM
Hello,
My name is Jean-Baptiste and I am the founder of Saint-Jean Shoemaker.

[www.saintjeanshoes.com]

[www.facebook.com]

We are making custom shoes based on a foot scan.
Here is how we scan a foot with a 3D sense scanner:
[www.youtube.com]

You can choose the shape, the design, the color and patina and we also make custom shoetrees.
Today, the basic price for a pair is 300 euros.

We are looking for scanner owners that would accept to scan our customers foot in their city. You can get 50euros each time you scan a foot.
Once you agree, we run a small facebook advertising campain in your city and you receive by email the requests for scanning. You set the appointment with the customer and you send us the scan. Once we validate it (one at the latest), you get payed.

Please contact us at saintjeanshoes@gmail.com

Best regards,

Jean-Baptiste
Re: Bespoke Leather Shoes with 3D Scans
October 30, 2014 12:43PM
Nice idea, I am currently working with a Kinect, I will check out if it is accurate enough to Scan feet!

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
October 30, 2014 12:56PM
... I've tested a kinect recently - the smallest detail-accuracy is around 10mm -- but should be enough for feet ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 30, 2014 02:45PM
VDX
... I've tested a kinect recently - the smallest detail-accuracy is around 10mm -- but should be enough for feet ...

Yeah, I found out it's not as accurate as one would like to, but I noticed when using the smallest setting that the accuracy increased. I also noticed that most people have very low framerates, but I get around 24/25 frames/second out of my Kinect, even with very complex shapes such as curly hair. Maybe it helps having a high-end laptop with dedicated graphics?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
VDX
October 30, 2014 02:54PM
... I have a quad-core desktop with good graphics and GPU capabilities, what's helping a bit ... but for faster buildup speeds you'll need the pro versions of the programs ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 31, 2014 04:05AM
Hello, yes kinect has enough accuracy. Actually a few scanners use this technology
January 05, 2015 05:21PM
I just stumbled across this new blog post by Gyrobot, he used a flatbed scanner to scan his feet and took the image produced to make an extremely detailed contour of the sole in OpenSCAD. It seems like this could be used to extrapolate the rest of the dimensions of the foot pretty reliably in most cases.

Also, those form-fitting insoles look like they must feel amazing.
VDX
January 05, 2015 05:53PM
... the biggest problem with scanning feet on a glassplate is the flatness -- the best thing I've seen until now was a box, filled with soft clay, where you step on, let your feet impress and then 3D-scan the surface ...

Viktor
--------

January 06, 2015 10:47AM
VDX, this is a very good idea. I'll try it soon.
January 07, 2015 09:16AM
VDX, that's a great idea, and probably the best way to get an actual true 3d scan of the sole of the foot in a natural position, but unless you invest in a dedicated scanner, the resolution will still be pretty low. Gyrobot's method got a super-high-resolution scan with exact dimensions, even if it was very limited in scope.

Perhaps a combination of methods would be best... A flat-bed scanned contour for detail and precise scale and a photogrammetry scanned clay impression to fine tune the depth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2015 09:16AM by Feign.
VDX
January 07, 2015 11:43AM
... I'm scanning surfaces and complete objects with similar or smaller sizes and details with David-Laserscanner (with a modified cheap DLP-beamer and old industry cameras or web-cams).

The accuracy/resolution of the result is around 0.2 percent of the image width, so more than enough for the needed details winking smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login