Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Principles of 3d Scanning ?

Posted by Replace 
Principles of 3d Scanning ?
August 14, 2014 01:20AM
While I am waiting for spare parts to fix my crashed Orca, I might put some energy in my Primesense scanner, which is laying in its box since purchased.

Unfortunately, I can not get the Openni and Skanect running but what if I do ?

How should I scan an object? Should I rotate it 360 degrees ? Once ? Should I move the scanner in Z-direction while rotating ?

If so, should I build a turntable and Z-axis apparatus ?

Who is scanning in this forum and how is the action performed ?
Advice is appreciated.

Thomas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 01:20AM by Replace.

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Principles of 3d Scanning ?
August 18, 2014 08:53AM
No body ?

:-((

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Principles of 3d Scanning ?
August 24, 2014 01:07AM
There are a few ways of doing it:

1. Place the object on a turntable and scan the object over the course of one complete rotation.

2. Place the object on a still surface and move the camera around the object in a perfect circle without blocking any light.

3. Place the object within the field of vision of multiple cameras/sensors both above and below the object on all sides and compile the snap shots.

In regards to the z-axis movement: Yes you should move along the z-axis. I use a tablet with a gyroscope built in that is linked to the scanner so it can process my z-axis movement. I don't know for certain how necessary this is, but if you're having trouble without it you might be wise to look into this option.

Depending on the available tools, you can decide which method is best for you. I currently use the turntable method as it is best for my situation and I have only had limited problems with lighting and various interference. Fortunately you can edit out any random 3d space objects with programs like MeshLab, which is open source. Meshlab sourceforge if you're lazy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login