Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it possible to scan a thread (+-0.002 inch / 0.10 mm / 50 microns)?

Posted by A2 
A2
Is it possible to scan a thread (+-0.002 inch / 0.10 mm / 50 microns)?
December 10, 2013 12:34PM

Is it possible with today's DIY scanners to scan a thread accurate to (+-0.002 inch / 0.10 mm / 50 microns)?

What is the best technology for this application: revolving table, laser pointer, multiple camera images, 3d camera phone (surface scan), etc...?

I have qty:2, 3d camera phones (HTC EVO 3D), I would like to use one of the phones as a 3d scanner.

I found a free scanner app for phones with 3d cameras, but it doesn't work. confused smiley
I sent an email to the developer, but he hasn't replied.
[www.photo-to-3d.com]
[play.google.com]

What DIY scanner has that capability to accurately scan a thread, got a link? smileys with beer

Tks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 12:35PM by A2.
Attachments:
open | download - ScreenHunter_298 Dec. 10 12.16.jpg (3.5 KB)
open | download - ScreenHunter_297 Dec. 10 12.07.jpg (16.6 KB)
Re: Is it possible to scan a thread (+-0.002 inch / 0.10 mm / 50 microns)?
April 12, 2014 08:31AM
@a2

with the current scanners in the diy range it is not possible to get that kind or resolution... the problem is the the laser light getting scattered on the object.. you could at max get a resolution of 0.2 - 0.5mm but after mesh smoothing you loose details... i had built my own scanner long before i had a reprap... it was based on a scanner done in Stanford... back then i had used a webcam with a laughable resolution of 0.3 megapixel... but even then got a resolution of 0.5mm ... but with a lot of noise... the biggest problem i faced was the laser scattering on the surface and not being fine enough to capture details...

my scanner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 08:31AM by ekaggrat.
VDX
April 12, 2014 05:17PM
... some years ago I've built some microscope cameras with working areas (image widths) down to 1.2x0.8mm and depths of view of 2mm for stereoptical imaging microssembly.

The optics of this cameras were pretty simple - one type SW-cams used only a single rod-lens (normally used for endoskopy) in a long tube placed before the camera chip.

For the color-cameras I've used small video-macro-optics or reverted the common objective for 'microscopy' mode -- her are some samples from the colour cameras: [mikroskopkamera.de]

And you can reduce the image size of a beamer with 2x to 4x magnifying glasses placed before the output -- here I've posted some samples: [forums.reprap.org]

So with 'reducing' the output of a DLP-beamer to maybe 40x30mm and the Field-of-View of a camera to similar dimensions you can 3D-scan small objects with an accuracy down to some ten microns with David-Laserscanner.
And for shiny objects you can apply the fine marking spray ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
A2
April 12, 2014 06:01PM
Tks for the feedback about the resolution, and the DLP-beamer looks interesting.

I was researching micro DLP projectors the other day, and discovered that the prices, lumens, and resolution are pretty good.
A DLP 3d printer using a micro DLP projector, that also could be used for scanning would be fun.

I'm interested in some thing like the following two products to become freely available for 3d camera phones..

Spike : Laser accurate measurement & modeling on smartphones
[www.kickstarter.com]

Structure Sensor: Capture the World in 3D
[www.kickstarter.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login