Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rubicon 3D scanner

Posted by RogertT 
Rubicon 3D scanner
September 08, 2013 06:54AM
Hi guys,
Wanted to announce a new campaign at www.indiegogo.com/projects/rubicon-3d-scanner/

What do you think about it? Will it sweep makerbot's digitizer off the marker?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 11:09AM by RogertT.
Re: Rubicon 3D scanner
September 08, 2013 03:06PM
Looks quite nice, but the campaign is quite short on information. Will the design be open-sourced?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 08, 2013 03:07PM
Right now I wasn't thinking about making it open-sourced. Let me know if you have any other questions. )
September 08, 2013 03:21PM
RogertT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right now I wasn't thinking about making it
> open-sourced. Let me know if you have any other
> questions. )

As long as you aren't using open-source software, that is probably fine. But be aware that the RepRap community is heavily invested in open-source hardware and software.

For $200 I think many people will be interested. Is the software and hardware already fully developed, and you just need funds to mass-produce it?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 08, 2013 03:35PM
Both yes and no smiling smiley The prototype runs on an Arduino + L293 to drive the motor, but I want to make my own PCB.
The software is developed in terms that it work - you can see example scans here www.p3d.in/u/Robert2013 , but it still would take a month or so to take care of any final details, to make the UI friendly, etc.
September 08, 2013 07:23PM
I am def thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Even if its not open source. I could see a use for this in my current setup for reproducing small parts for equipment on our ambulances. And if it is open source, itll give me something to tinker with. Whats the max size you can scan? And can the user make it bigger or will you offer a larger model in the future?
September 08, 2013 08:37PM
Do you have any figures on the accuracy of the scans?
September 08, 2013 09:43PM
Will it be Mac compatible? And it looks like it takes the texture map as well in your video is that true? (not for printing but 3D rendering of course)
September 08, 2013 10:28PM
What file formats will the scanner export? Now I have to find space on my desk. smiling bouncing smiley
September 08, 2013 10:41PM
RogertT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What do you think about it? Will it sweep
> makerbot's digitizer off the marker?

It looks good but are you set up to compete with Makerbot/Stratasys? Good ideas don't necessarily mean a succesful product, unfortunately. What's your supply chain like? How streamlined is your manufacturing? How are you going to market and distribute the product? This December is pretty ambitious if the device is still in the prototype stage.
September 08, 2013 11:13PM
December does seems quite soon. But I think I'd be willing to wait a short spell if it means spending 1300 dollars less than the MakerBot. If your looking to sell millions of these and give Makerbot a run for its money, than you better have a darn good supply chain and site. Personally I would at least make the hardware itself open source and push selling your software. 2 lasers, a webcam and a arduino turn table are the easy part. All that software coding blows my mind though. If it were me, I'd sell the kit and software and make it byoa (bring your own arduino). No need for indigogo and you can see the direction everyone takes your hardware and how everyone pushes your software to the max smiling smiley
September 09, 2013 03:33AM

Whats the max size you can scan? And can the user make it bigger or will you offer a larger model in the future?

With current setup you can scan objects up to 160mm in diameter and about 250mm in height, but since the camera is movable, even bigger objects might fit in.

Do you have any figures on the accuracy of the scans?

Not yet smiling smiley just that it can turn for 0.45 degrees at a time, so you can calculate the accuracy depending on the diameter of your object.

Will it be Mac compatible?

Right now we're working only on a windows version, but later if there is demand we would port it for mac and other systems.

And it looks like it takes the texture map as well in your video is that true?

Yes, it does the textures, too. See examples at www.p3d.in/u/Robert2013
September 09, 2013 03:39AM

What file formats will the scanner export? Now I have to find space on my desk. smiling bouncing smiley
3ds,obj and stl for the model and jpg / png for textures.

Personally I would at least make the hardware itself open source and push selling your software.
For me it looks the other way around ) once someone buys your software, it appears on torrents and you're out of luck. Also people don't really like spending real money on virtual stuff. So I guess it would be better to give software for free and selling hardware.
September 09, 2013 12:25PM
Looks great. What is the shipping weight and will you ship to Canada?
Cheers.
September 09, 2013 01:34PM
Hi Sarge, the weight is right under one kilo. Sure, I can ship to Canada.
September 11, 2013 02:08PM

For me it looks the other way around ) once someone buys your software, it appears on torrents and you're out of luck. Also people don't really like spending real money on virtual stuff. So I guess it would be better to give software for free
and selling hardware.
Will the software be available for those who do not purchare?, if it is that is great, personally for me, I'd built it myself, its the desktop software I need, its ok if its the desktop software is not open source. Also if there are any plans for linux port, that would be awesome, it will streamline the workflow for all users.
Also Kudos to you for making a great project!
September 11, 2013 04:52PM
Hello,

You should most definitely open source the software. It should be coded in something portable. Now, protect the firmware in your micro controller and keep the hardware closed and under your control.

The broader the software support, the more units you will sell. Even if it can be easily built, people will prefer to buy the hardware from you and simply plug it in. That is, at a reasonable price point. I would not hesitate to pay $200 for the hardware rather than take the time to build it.

By the way, I run linux on all of my computers, as does a good percentage of people in the maker community. By open sourcing the software, you would have some excellent and extremely capable programs out there supporting your hardware. Devs would jump on it.

Kevin.
September 12, 2013 01:11AM
When you add Mac support, I'm in.
September 14, 2013 08:06AM
Just a minor point. You list the resolution of the c920 at 15mp. That's their software interpolated rating. The actual sensor is 3mp, and they use software to enlarge and smooth that image. I'm sure makerbot is listing the actual camera resolution, and not the interpolated value.

c920 technical specs

Also, since they're using an algorithm to make the original image seem larger than it really is, it's probably best if your software only captures at the highest native resolution supported by the camera (or at least gives the user a choice rather than selecting the highest resolution the API supports.) You don't want artifacts from their upscaling software affecting your calculations.
September 14, 2013 01:20PM
Looks nice. Good luck to your project

Blogs:
Meine 3D Druck Abenteuer
[3dptb.blogspot.de]
FLSUN Delta Drucker für Deutschland
[flsun-deutschland.blogspot.com]
Books on 3D patents:
[goo.gl] (english)
[www.amazon.de] (deutsch)
September 15, 2013 05:43AM
it's for people who have a reprap.
and since those already have a controller board capable of controlling steppers,
i think it would be cool if you could just connect the stepper to say your Z stepper on your board,
and a little G-code could run the whole thing.

then you just need to sell your software, since the hardware would be simple to print ourself
September 15, 2013 04:24PM
i think it would be cool if you could just connect the stepper to say your Z stepper on your board,
and a little G-code could run the whole thing.

An interesting thought, but then the scanner would always have to be near the printer, and you wouldn't be able to use both at the same time. Driving a stepper motor isn't a difficult task. For a production system, a $2 microcontroller with a bit of inexpensive support circutry could keep the cost of the extra electronics under $10. Arduino is easy to develop with, but it's expensive and overly powerful for this application.
September 15, 2013 11:15PM
I would buy the software, just make it have a key that validates through the internet. the hardware is simple to make.
November 10, 2013 04:05PM
I think this is really an amazing project, I give you my best compliments. If I can say my opinion, I would like to see that remains an open source project ( both hardware and software) in order to receive the best help from many open source developer all over the world. So you will keep your software up to date, to the best performance level, and I can say the same about the hardware.
If you want to find an easy way to earn some money, for sure, you can open your own online shop, and sell all the involved components ( electronic parts and so on).
November 12, 2013 08:42AM
This is a fantastic article on open source:
[www.open-electronics.org]
I hope you can read it there and convince you to print the all the work with an open source license thumbs up
November 12, 2013 11:43AM
it's now on kickstarter also:
[www.kickstarter.com]

but it's now 199£ instead of 199$, so it's more like 315$ now for the exact same thing.
still no camera included.
February 12, 2014 12:02AM
Feature (and price) creep on this project has gotten bad. 399 Euro now to pre-order so it's more like $540 now. So much for the sub $200 scanner..... Sure wish I had seen it in time for the Indiegogo campaign!
February 16, 2014 01:02PM
Yes i would be worried about the exponential cost increase, the highest cost/issue here is the software, not many people can right decent code cheap..........!!!
January 12, 2015 07:46AM
Bringing this post from the dead just not to open a new one!

Does anyone own this scanner from Rubicon?
May 18, 2015 10:59PM
I set up an account just to warn everyone what a scam this has turned into. I am one of the original backers for the Indigo-go campaign and after over a year and half the scanners are finally shipping. That is only if you paid for the optional upgrade that has now become mandatory. If you can't pay for the upgrade (50 Euros) it sounds like you won't be getting anything. The creator has not, at the time of writing, answered any questions but I have noticed on the kickstarter campaign that he is issuing refunds. Partial refunds. People are being penalized $70 for refunds and are accepting it because it's better than nothing. Long story short, save your money for when a knockoff pops up on aliexpress.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login