Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Laser Scanner in a Box

Posted by elektrknight 
3D Laser Scanner in a Box
August 27, 2013 06:33PM
Hi,

Just wanted to share my take on a 3D Laser Scanner.
It is a dual laser design made of inexpensive mterials.

Here is page link showing the design.
HBBR 3D Laser Scanner

Scanner is compatible with the FabScan100 scanning software but other alternative open source code is
being developed to bypass limitations of FabScan100.

Current custom FabScan100 binary build for 32-bit Windows XP and 64-bit OS X 10.7 can be downloaded here:

Page with actual scan data for Stworek sculpture, point clouds can opened in the browser or dowloaded for local access, Meshlab recommended.

FabScan100 scanning software download page

Stworek sculpture is about 4" (10cm) tall and 2.5" (6.5cm) wide but it is rather spiky so these are more like maximum outline dimensions. It was kiln fired but it is not glazed and surface is a natural pottery clay.

Scans were done in two external lighting conditions: Light - acquired under normal daytime conditions, some variation in textured color can be seen and Dark - external light blocked by a dark cover over the scanner.

Data is available in all scanning resolutions: Poor, Normal, Good and Best. However, due to *current limitations* of the 32-bit FabScan100 Windows version I could acquire complete scans in Poor and Normal resolutions, Good and Best are partial scans but should provide good reference for resolution comparison.

Good resolution data is about 180 degree scan so it could be practical to scan even with current 32-bit Windows version but it would require post-processing to glue the point clouds.

Best resolution data is just the sliver of about 10 degree scan so it is not practical to scan with the current software for Win32. There are two Best resolution files and the second (2) one has some interesting data captured, namely couple o bulging eyes and one indentation. You can view the data in a browser but I would recommend downloading it and using Meshlab for any comparisons.

Stworek scultpture 3D point clouds

A batch of scanners is available now here:

eBay link to HBBR Scanner
Attachments:
open | download - HBBR_Scanner_60dpi.png (493.9 KB)
Re: 3D Laser Scanner in a Box
August 30, 2013 06:16PM
Just a short video showing new GUI capturing images with both lasers.

3D Scanning Stworek - YouTube
September 08, 2013 08:06PM
Open source HBBR_Scanner Python and Kivy based GUI has been published.
Currently allows capturing sequence of images in a background subtracted method of scanning.

HBBR Scanner Github project
September 08, 2013 10:27PM
The links on the Stworek page, e.g., [www.combinatorialdesign.com]
on my Mac don't work in Safari or in Chrome. They seem to work in FireFox, however almost all of the images are solid black. The Best ones show some bright points, but I can't make out any shape.

So these aren't much help in promoting your scanner to Mac users.
You should add a webmaster email address on your site--I tried to give you feedback there, and there was no way. And here I had to wait until I finally found someone to kick the system, as it would never send me the membership activation email, so I could not post anything anywhere.
I.e., I worked hard to get you this feedback!
September 09, 2013 03:46AM
DaveGadgeteer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The links on the Stworek page, e.g.,
> [www.combinatorialdesign.com]
> /data/Stworek_PointCloud_ply?name=Stworek-Light-Po
> or
> on my Mac don't work in Safari or in Chrome. They
> seem to work in FireFox, however almost all of the
> images are solid black. The Best ones show some
> bright points, but I can't make out any shape.

To display point cloud support for WebGL is needed in a browser
and it seems that both Safari and Chrome on OS X require extra steps to enable it.

This website allows to quickly test for WebGL support in the browser:

get.webgl.org

There was an issue with lighting selection for the data which was removed
and now the only selection is the point size. If you see just the black
backround it is problably because point cloud was rotated out of the
view. Just reload the page and you will reset the view.

>
> So these aren't much help in promoting your
> scanner to Mac users.

Sorry about this but it seems that in Mac browsers even when WebGL is enabled
detection of WebGL might not work, we are working on fixing this.

> You should add a webmaster email address on your
> site--I tried to give you feedback there, and

The Contact page is being worked on
and should be operational in day or two.

> there was no way. And here I had to wait until I
> finally found someone to kick the system, as it
> would never send me the membership activation
> email, so I could not post anything anywhere.
> I.e., I worked hard to get you this feedback!

Thanks for feedback!
September 22, 2013 05:04PM
FabScan100 - fork updated with initial support for dual laser scanning.

FabScan100 - dual laser fork

There are still some issues to be resolved like proper calibration, better processing of the laser line detection.
October 12, 2013 11:22PM
I have some improved source code for this hbbr 3d scanner . it improves communications and allows proper rotational calc to allow 360 rotation in a single scan to work in fabscan100 software. it never did before.

the issue currently is that there are copy-write issues with the original code. I may just rewrite those areas in question and have a totally new code posted in reprap forum. I am disgusted that the person who created hbbr scanner who wants open source help, and who does not know the arduino programming that well, chose to copy-write his code. which really does not work that well, and likely was copied from the fabscan home page rather directly. at least the original author is still listed, but the original author also claimed copy write.

the hbbr is considered experimental at best. I'd like to post the code I have created, but it seems it will need a complete overhaul.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login