Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DAVID-Laserscanner

Posted by Nil Einne 
Re: DAVID-Laserscanner
February 14, 2013 10:45AM
OK, the DAVID laser scanner arrived this week. I can confirm there is a steepish learning curve. I'm getting results, but I know better is possible.
VDX
February 14, 2013 11:08AM
... laser line or SL?

With SL it's really easy to get good results -- with laser you have to tweak/learn and best build a motorized angular or linear stage ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
February 14, 2013 05:05PM
Laser line.

The motorized stage is definitely looking like a good idea. There are also the problems of managing lighting and camera settings to get better recognition of the laser line (a focused laser line is still fuzzy if overexposed. I've taken to using just the end of the line, where it's dimmer).

For the cost of building the stage plus the reduced learning curve, I'm starting to think already about finding a cheap projector.

Before spending more money, I think I need to spend some more time learning. I haven't even been to the DAVID forums yet.

You say SL is really easy. Easy relative to using the laser, or just plain easy?
VDX
February 14, 2013 06:12PM
... just "plain easy" grinning smiley

I've bought older 800x600px DLP-beamers without lamps for 12€ and 35€ and modified them to 'lamp-less', so I can insert other light sources.

The Casios witth removed laserdiodes were 35€ for the A130 (1024x786px) or 45€ for the A230 (1200x1024px) ... and 230€ for a A230 with 6 remaining laserdiodes, so it works in 'full-colour' mode ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

February 15, 2013 12:57PM
I may be able to get my wife to split the cost on a fully functional unit. These things seem too useful to dedicate solely to scanning, and she may be tired of sharing her laptop screen for small presentations she sometimes does.

I'll have to do some further reading to see what characteristics other than cost are important.

Thanks for the help. So much to do still...
February 26, 2013 03:30PM
Hi! I just played around with the new Beta of David-Laserscanner 3.7 64bit and the VirtuCube. The update is awesome. I did this scan within minutes without post-porcessing in another software smiling smiley

VirtuCube: [www.thingiverse.com]

[www.youtube.com]

David 3.7 Beta: [www.david-laserscanner.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Donkey_02.JPG (26.6 KB)
April 09, 2013 07:16AM
hey isnt this getafix !!! from asterix and obelix? hahaha !!! i love their cartoons !

VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... made a test for timing/homogenity with the
> 'only_red'-modified Casio-beamer and a 10cm tall
> A&O-figure.
>
> - setup:
>
> [forums.reprap.org]
> ilename=Miraculix-setup.jpg
>
>
>
> - result - the figure is 100mm high:
>
> [forums.reprap.org]
> ilename=Miraculix-fused.jpg
>
>
> The finish could be better with optimized timing
> parameters or remeshing the scans, but already
> usefull for 'normal' parts winking smiley

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
VDX
April 09, 2013 07:40AM
redreprap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey isnt this getafix !!! from asterix and obelix?
> hahaha !!! i love their cartoons !

... I'm using his 'German' name "Miraculix" winking smiley

I have some other figurine series from A&O and "The Hobbit" or "Lord of the Rings" - some in resin, the smaller ones in metal, some really good handpainted.

So an 'endless' source of interesting figures to scan, mill or print ... but have to be cautious for IP's when posting or going comercial confused smiley

Viktor
--------

VDX
May 08, 2013 02:21AM
... my children and wife were a bit anxious to wreck gaming figures, so asked, if I can make them some copies for use while 'storing' the originals.

Scanned one figure with an old dental-scanner (but could have done this with David-Laserscanner too), edited and cleaned it in David and ordered 4 in different colours/materials from shapeways (22€ complete with shipping and tax)

The figures and scanning+printing results can be seen here (and in the following posts): [forums.reprap.org]

Viktor
--------

May 09, 2013 03:26PM
VXD,

I'm interested on the modification of DLP beamers ...

Still need to utilize my David scanner better. At the moment i always try again and just make marginal improvements on my success list ...

BigBoxDriver
VDX
May 09, 2013 04:49PM
... which beamer do you have?

Until now I've found infos for and modified DLP-beamers from Acer (PD110), Toshiba (TDP-S20), Infocus (X2) and Casio (XJ-A130, -A230).

Sometimes it's as simple as removing the lamp+PS and shorten two pins, sometimes (with the Casios) you have to remove, reconnect and populate some SMT components ...

Viktor
--------

September 28, 2013 07:09PM
anything is better than fabscan and the HBBR scanner. I spent 300$ knowing it was still in development, you are lucky to scan a real object more than 10% without distortion. I'm actually disappointed with it and any ability of it to be used to do a single 360deg scan.

I am also trying the kinect scanner and will post details on that soon.

if you want reliability and fast setup with little post processing your best bet for under 600$ is the Roland 3d scanners. they go on and off ebay on occasion. new they were about 1400-2600$. I really wish i had not sold mine years ago. it was a little slow, but very very accurate.

There is a difference between theoretical accuracy,and real performance of any 3d scanner. guess you get what you pay for in the end....

I have attached a pdf to the Roland scanner i used.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2013 07:13PM by jamesdanielv.
Attachments:
open | download - pix-30_4.pdf (264.7 KB)
December 18, 2015 06:57AM
Hello all,

Has anyone tried using the new portable projectors?

I have has good results using a large industrial projector and a biconvex 20cm lens to reduce the throw to 20cm.

The Phillips picoPix looks like a good projector. I may have to buy one to see what I can achieve, unless of course anyone can provide better advice?

Dave
VDX
February 22, 2017 04:13AM
... I've got a small Acer K11 LED beamer and modified Logitech pro 9000 webcam and 3D-printed mounting parts ... and combined them with some of my old gear - for scanning of small parts more compact than the setup with the Casio beamer winking smiley

Here the setup with two LED spotlights (red and white) and a tilt/pan-table - see the 1 Euro coin in the small calibration corner for size comparison:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 04:14AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------

VDX
February 22, 2017 03:42PM
... and a fast test of the setup with scanning the Euro coin - live-image:

... and the raw result:

Viktor
--------

May 16, 2017 10:14PM
can i use this laser Proxima Direct Mini Red und Green Stars Laser Projektor instead of projector?
VDX
May 17, 2017 02:23AM
... why not?

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login