Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Perfect christmas gift? Wafer paper engraving

Posted by o_lampe 
Perfect christmas gift? Wafer paper engraving
December 11, 2017 03:15AM
It's short before christmas and we all look for THE gift for our beloved ones.
Why not make some cookies with wafer paper ( Oblaten ) and engrave some personal image or text onto?

Unfortunately, I have no laser in working order. Otherwise, I'd have tried it out. ( ...and ate them all grinning smiley )

Maybe it's a market niche? Think of all the gingerbread hearts sold on Munich Oktoberfest ! Take a snapshot of the customer, engrave it onto a wafer paper and put it on a gingerbread heart...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 03:23AM by o_lampe.
VDX
Re: Perfect christmas gift? Wafer paper engraving
December 11, 2017 04:38AM
... laser-engraving means overheating/burning the surface, what can/will produce toxins - I wouldn't eat them!

Better think about "printing" with food-grade ink or chocolate winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 11, 2017 03:27PM
The burned part is the best. winking smiley Just like a piece of toast...
Are there food grade inkjet printers?
VDX
December 11, 2017 06:10PM
... inkjet for inks with low viscosities, dispensers for medium to high viscosities - I'm using piezo-controlled valve-dispensers, what's essentially a one-nozzle-ink-jet with up to 3kHz droplet rates for low viscous fluids (1 to 100 mPas), to maybe 300Hz for extreme viscous pastes (used up to 58000 mPas!)

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 12, 2017 03:03AM
...sounds like it takes forever to print an image with one nozzle. How big is the drop/what resolution can you achieve?
A galvo controlled laser would be much faster I guess. A factor that counts on a fair ground like Oktoberfest.
VDX
December 12, 2017 07:15AM
... here's a sample with paste-dispensing: [vimeo.com]

- and here with XY-galvoscanner-marking: [vimeo.com]

As previously said - engraving edible parts with a laser will eventually render them toxic! - especially if you want to make something as "give-away", this would be a no-go!

Viktor
--------

VDX
December 12, 2017 07:21AM
... here's another sample with a "stippled" image, what would be more eye-catching for the fast "random jumping" of the dispenser winking smiley

[vimeo.com]

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login