Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Good laser-friendly material for my purpose?

Posted by donfrench 
Good laser-friendly material for my purpose?
April 04, 2017 03:00PM
Hello and thanks for accepting me into this group. I will start out with a question about laser cutting.

I am planning on making a gadget that goes between a tripod and a camera. It has plates on the top and bottom where it attaches to the bottom plate of the camera and the top plate of the tripod with the normal 1/4 20 bolts that tripods have to attach a camera. I am trying to find the right material to attach to these plates to make the connections tight and slip-free. I don't anticipate making thousands of these devices so I would prefer to avoid die cutting because of cost, and since I have access to a laser cutter, that is how I want to cut these pieces. But I don't know what material I should be searching for. Obviously it has to be laser-friendly but it should also be textured or in some way "grippy". And durable so it doesn't wear out fast. And finally it would be great if it had adhesive backing for easy application. It needs to be between 1/16" and 1/8" thick. Can anyone recommend a material that would be ideal for this application? Thanks in advance.
VDX
Re: Good laser-friendly material for my purpose?
April 04, 2017 04:25PM
... there are silicone-sheets, used for baking or as "working mat", that can be cut with a CO2-lasercutter without problems.

If cutting with a blue 445nm-diodelaser, then search black or pretty dark material for high energy absorption ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 04, 2017 08:50PM
Is Silicone Rubber the same thing? What do you think about this product?
VDX
April 05, 2017 02:31AM
... I was thinking about this mats - [www.ebay.de]

Your link shows high carbon filled types, so better to lasercut -- better use the thinnest possible type and test it ... silikone rubber can be pretty hard to cut with a diode laser ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login