Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need to cut stencils

Posted by larrylwill 
Need to cut stencils
July 28, 2016 06:03PM
First post:
I need to make some stencils to paint some symbols on metal. Here is an example.

I found this machine NEJE 1000mW DIY Laser USB Engraver Cutter Engraving
[tinyurl.com] can be found less. I have found some you tubes but none cutting through anything.

Im wondering if I can cut symbols in sticky back plastic like contact paper or other paper with sticky back so I can stick the stencil and sponge paint the symbols on metal.
Is 1 w enough wattage and is the resolution good enough.

I want to sand this out and repaint with new symbols. The overall size is 5-3/4 x 3-1/2

The Bell Fruit symbol is the smallest.
Attachments:
open | download - card.jpg (360.1 KB)
VDX
Re: Need to cut stencils
July 29, 2016 02:22AM
... look here - [forums.reprap.org]

This was done with 3W and some passes with the thicker materials.

With 1W the cutting depth will be maybe the the half, and some materials won't cut even with 10x cutting, but dark plastic film or paper is no problem ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 29, 2016 02:30AM
I only need a stencil of the designs on the picture I attached, Its the pay card from an antique slot machine.
The size of the ,etal is 5-3/5 x 3-1/2 so some of the letters in Bell Fruit are pretty small maybe 1/8 inch. Im also researching cutter plotters.
VDX
July 29, 2016 05:46PM
... cutter plotters have problems with really small fonts - for this I've built my first DIY-CO2-lasercutter around 1990 winking smiley

In my linked thread, some posts back I've posted a sample with laserengraving and -cutting multi-coloured sheets - here the image:

And look at the older posts too, there are more samples ...

This will be possible with the 1W-diode too, only slower than with 3W winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

July 29, 2016 05:58PM
I already ordered the 500mv I supposed it will also be possible but way slower.
But is was that label made with a stencil and paint or engraving or label? I want to cut out a stencil in order to paint the letters and symbols.
I cant use a stick on label.
VDX
July 29, 2016 07:31PM
... I'm mostly labelling or engraving - for a painting strategy you can cut thin sheets for stencils or label the part, cut and remove the areas to paint, then paint and remove the label - it's not so different ...

Viktor
--------

July 29, 2016 07:39PM
what would you suggest as a medium to cut the stencil in?
thank you
VDX
July 30, 2016 04:09PM
... you have to search locally, what sheet material you can source - the darker coloured, the better.

So long I have tried different plastics with different behaviour - some evaporates fine, so can be cut with one pass ... others behave like wax - melt, but didn't evaporate or 'cut through' ...

Viktor
--------

July 30, 2016 09:03PM
Check out

Shapeoko Other - (etchers, drag knifes, lasers)

[www.shapeoko.com]

Re: SSD Laser cutting
[www.shapeoko.com]

J-Tech Photonics

[jtechphotonics.com]

[www.everythinglasers.com]

confused smiley
July 30, 2016 09:05PM
Thank you
August 04, 2016 01:58PM
I tried to join [www.shapeoko.com] but the asked what does cnc stand for and they wont accept my answer
computerized numerical control

A second question Gearbest wants to charge me an extra $27 for shipping above the $27 they already charge due to to he parcel is excess in weight or in volume. This is for a 500mw laser cutter that was on sale. Has anyone else had this problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login