Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suitable wood for engraving in AU?

Posted by Downunder35m 
Suitable wood for engraving in AU?
April 02, 2016 07:32AM
I tried now what I had in wood on my laser for various purposes.
Plywood and (thin MDF) are good for general stuff like casings.
Pine can be useful if the resin content is not too high and the stuff is thin enough - but not for engravings.
Also tried some redgum, terrible results due to the high resin content but for thin engravings it looks quite good as the resin gives a nice glossy finnish, if the problem with the grain would ne non existend I would use it more often.
Some unknow hardwood flooring had even worse results with the grain structure, I ended up with massive caves where the softer grain was.

I know there are some Aussies active here, so my questions:
Is there any locally available wood that gives good engraving results, preferable for deeper things like 2.5D engravings?
If not: Do you know of any timber companies that would ship small samples to try out?

It is always nice to see what can be done with wood and a laser but most of the websites are outside AU and use locally available species that are hard or impossible to find in Australia.
Would like to avoid ordering big pieces of timber for a lot of money only to find out the won't give the results that I am after.
Did some 2.5D tests with MDF and the detail level was quite nice apart from the MDF problem and cleaning, gave up after a while LOL
With my china laser now (almost) working like a professional system in terms of laser modes, accuracy and ease of use I am getting desperate to do some real work with it winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login