Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Etching software

Posted by sungod3k 
Etching software
January 29, 2016 06:37PM
Hi,

im thinking about buying the Jtech laser kits [jtechphotonics.com] and they have different software for vector cutting (inkscape plug in) and etching (laser etch 30€)

Now Im looking for opensource/freeware programs especially for etching.
and 2nd in vector cut mode the laser is on permanent on the same intensity, is it a problem when the acceleration moves are not considered by the software? or are the cutting moves slow enough for this not playing a big role?

Cheers
VDX
Re: Etching software
January 29, 2016 06:44PM
... what did you mean by 'etching'?

If laserengraving PCB's, then the free version of Target ( [www.ibfriedrich.com] ) is a good program for 2-sided isolation laser-engraving/milling.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
January 29, 2016 07:55PM
etching is engraving / pixel based impulses, not continous vector cuts. i mostly want to do letter engraving onto my prints, so i need the same skillset as pcb production

the program that you linked looks like a pcb editor or can I engrave other black and white pics?
January 29, 2016 08:36PM
Have you looked into the Turnkey Tyranny plugin for Inkscape?
I use it on my Co2 Laser for both raster and vector jobs, works a treat once you got used to Inkscape.
The generated G-code is processed by Pronterface as a simple g-code sender as all the fancy 3D printing stuff is not required.
January 29, 2016 09:48PM
Ah yes that looks something useful. thanks
VDX
January 30, 2016 10:10AM
.. I'm not differentiating between 'etching' and 'vector cut' - for the laser-driver it's the same, if it's engraving a line/contour or a grid of dots.

It's only different, if you have a software/driver-combo for an analogue laser controller, what's not capable of adjusting the laser power accordingly.

I'm developing my laser engravers/cutters on my own and my drivers are all pulse-driven and the software defines the pulsing rates related to the engraving speed.

The easiest way to achieve this, ist to use a common RepRap-software and feed the step-pulses of the extruder to the laser-driver input ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2016 10:10AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

January 30, 2016 03:39PM
I think the terms might be misleading that's all.
Sungod3k is looking for something very specif maybe because he does not fully realise there are other options too.
Some circuit software can put out nice vector files for "cutting" or "etching" either the copper directly or at least the mask for the real etching later on.
Only problem here is that is approach is basically only good for SMD boards and people with really good soldering skills.
Most people on a budget or only doing their own circuits on rare occasions often use freeware for the circuit design and same for the PCB.
As a result they get raster images (bmp, jpg, pdf) of the circuit board and the traces.
So for obvious reasons it is good to be able to this as a "raster-engraving" or in the PCB world "Raster-etching".
Not sure when or why the terms got so mixed up but I guess it happens when enough noobs use the same terms over and over again LOL

For the actual laser job it then just a matter of inverting the image and the laser removes what needs to be removed.

@VDX: You are of course right to say that for the actual machine there is little to no difference between raster and vector jobs.
It is just a matter of laser on/off speed and power - plus if the hardware supports it PWM and pulse control.
But for the actual (and maybe new) user of this tech it often comes down to building one and then using what the net offers on info.
And if on top you come from the real chemical etching world.... winking smiley
What I find quite some annyoning is the fact that right now there seems to be two ways of doing things, either GRBL or MARLIN.
And of course ther is the problem with software or pluging for it to work.
There it seems everyone is doing their own "homebrew" so to say.
Currently I am using a slightly modified Marlin by Turnkey Tyranny and the corresponding plugins for Inkscape but to get really good looking photos I need to use external software first to prepare the image as a laser-suited bitmap.
When I some more time I will try GRBL again and check some programs and plugins for it as all those won't create any useful g-code for my setup.
And did I mention some only work with certain GRBL releases? LOL
I think we should open a nice thread where people can post what they use in terms of hardware, software, firmware and plugins.
Just to get a nice overview for reference.
I am sure I still have not found all options to run my CO2 box with an Arduino and the info might be useful for a lot more people...
VDX
January 30, 2016 06:02PM
... I'm using the free version of TargetDiscover3001 (linked in second post) for my PCB's, as it can output isolation milling traces for my Isel-CNC-mill, but it can output G-Code (meant for MACH3) too.

I've posted the methodes of engraving and etching the PCB's here - [forums.reprap.org]

This is a screenshot of the pads+bores+tracks of the bottom-side a demo-board and attached the resulting G-code:

Viktor
--------

Attachments:
open | download - Schrittmotor.cnc (28.6 KB)
January 31, 2016 01:12AM
See, that is what I mean smiling smiley
A pic and some good words is often more than everything else.
Thought I know most the stuff but that nice proggy managed to escape my attention so far, won't hapen again now winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login