Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Green safety goggles for blue and red LDs?

Posted by o_lampe 
Green safety goggles for blue and red LDs?
December 28, 2015 11:55AM
I'm gonna experiment a little with red ( DVD burner ) and blue (445nm 2W M140 LDs ).
Is it possible to use green safety glass advertised as UV protection goggle?
-Olaf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2015 11:56AM by o_lampe.
VDX
Re: Green safety goggles for blue and red LDs?
December 28, 2015 01:14PM
... to be safe you'll need safety glasses with the right blocking capabilities - to cover red and blue, which are located on the adjacent 'edges' of the visible range, you'll need two different glasses ... or simply close/cover the working area with a complete light-tight box and insert a web-cam for visualisation ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 29, 2015 03:17AM
For the enclosures I'm using color filter foil. Blue for red LDs and orange for blue LDs. But in the beginning I have to adjust focus and need some extra protection.
VDX
December 29, 2015 04:10AM
... I'm adjusting the focus with lowest possible power at/around threshold current (exactly when it's changing from LED to laser) on black anodized aluminium or another black surface at hand ... mostly without glasses, as the beam is fixed and no shiny parts nearby. When in the right distance, I'm fixing the optics with a droplet of glue.

Then I'm inserting the diode into the module and mount it onto the engraver - then I'm "learning" the exact focal distance with engraving lines in X AND Y on black anodized aluminium (e.g. a cooler back surface) with different Z-heights, until the engraved lines are thinnest AND equal in width.

Then I'm assembling a height measure from a screw and jacket with the exact length from surface to the lens housing -- and use it from then on for positioning the Z-axis above the surface with laser OFF ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

December 29, 2015 01:42PM
I tested the green glasses with a small 5mW red LD and the reflection on white paper wasn't visible at all. I didn't look right into the LD.
Will repeat the test with one of the DVD LDs tomorrow.

I think, the red 400mW DVD LDs will not be able to burn lines in black anodized aluminum. Can I do the test with dark wood instead?
-Olaf
VDX
December 29, 2015 05:05PM
... dark/black wood is good, paper or cardboard even better - with fume absorbing you can test with the black back of a CD-cover too.

With a blue 445nm diode and a pretty 'good' spot of 0.05mm diameter you can mark dark anodized aluminium with 500mW ... for red and the same spot size I'll estimate more like 700mW ...

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login