Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual laser software?

Posted by o_lampe 
Dual laser software?
December 24, 2015 04:21AM
I thought with two lasers, you could print continuously and still allow a duty cycle of 50% for each laser.

Question is, how to write the gcode for this?
-Olaf
Re: Dual laser software?
December 24, 2015 09:31AM
The result would be 100% power - why would you want to do that ? To increase laser lifetime?

I looked into multiple lasers some time ago - see this - as can be seen I abandoned it, as it sounded very difficult to get lasers focusing on the same spot.

Now that my laser is actually running I have made my own experience which confirms this, it is simply not feasible ( atleast without cnc parts).

If you wanna do this, and just use two lasers, then a prism seems the best solution.

As for your actual question - gcode - why not ignore the gcode and put this feature in your laser driver? Should be fairly easy to make a circuit that devides the load between two lasers (?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2015 09:35AM by LarsK.
December 24, 2015 10:37AM
Indeed, that should entirely be controlled by the firmware, not the gcode generator.
December 25, 2015 03:39AM
You were thinking of guiding two beams on one spot, but I was thinking of defining X/Y offsets ( like it's done for dual extruders )
Then the "slicer" would have to adapt the gcode coordinates with each tool change.

Yes, the goal is to give the LDs time to cool down and raise reliability.
-Olaf
December 25, 2015 10:18AM
Hey,

If you have insufficient cooling so that you can't run your diode in steady state ( constant temperature) then you must anticipate the laser beam/spot to change with the temperature.

I see a very visible and distinct change in my burn spot with just a 20 deg C span. My guess is that if you want to raster with high precision you need to get within ~5 deg variation.

This is something you can easily test before spending too much time on this - I could be wrong and it is something to my setup)

Again , answering your question last - I think you can look into dual extruders gcode - But you are maybe getting to the point where you need to write your own post processing script to handle this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login