Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X0/Y0 Workaround to use Delta as a Lasercutter/engraver

Posted by Protoprinter 
X0/Y0 Workaround to use Delta as a Lasercutter/engraver
November 25, 2015 03:37AM
Hi there,
I do own to printers, a Sparkcube XL Core XY machine and a big Delta. I just got the JTech Photonics complete Laser Kit and would like to use the Delta for it. The Printhead is light, Acceleration is high etc. But most of the software that generates GCode (Inkscape Plugin, Laser Etch, PicLaser etc) uses X0 Y0 origin left in front of you. With a Delta, X0 Y0 is the middle of your Printbed.

Could it be possible to set the Origin X0 Y0 to left/in front of you with G92? Does it work with a Delta? Any ideas or should I use the CoreXY instead? I would really prefer the Delta..

Thanks,
Manu

Deltadrucker, Tantillus Reborn by Toolson/Protoprinter, meine kommerzielle Webseite
Re: X0/Y0 Workaround to use Delta as a Lasercutter/engraver
December 03, 2015 06:57PM
No, doesn't work, you need to modify the gcode file itself to recenter it.
I use a small node.js snippet for this.
December 07, 2015 06:14AM
Ok, but how does it work? If I understand you correctly, you are doing some kind of past g-code processing with the file? Can you provide a step by step guide?

Thanks a lot!
Manu

Deltadrucker, Tantillus Reborn by Toolson/Protoprinter, meine kommerzielle Webseite
December 07, 2015 07:53AM
What if you change the homing parameters?
Now they are X0 Y0 Z whatever your z height is.
Change them to X75 Y75 Zxxx and see what happens.
December 07, 2015 08:27AM
Not sure if that works with a Delta but I figured out how to get my Gcode with Origin of the coordinates in the middle. I use Inkscape und move the drawing with the center to the X0/Y0 origin. So it is not one the "paper" of your document, but the Jtech Plugin works without a problem. I contacted the maker of Picengrave. In the pro version it is posible to switch the origin from down left to the middle of the drawing...the price hurts a bit...

December 08, 2015 07:20AM
I just go through the gcode file, get the min and max values for both of them and then do some math to get the centered around X0Y0. Then it's just a matter of going through all the lines again and add or subtract the necessary amount from each.
A node.js script I used: [dl.dropboxusercontent.com]
Needs a output.gcode file in the same folder to read data from, saves as output_centered.gcode.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 07:21AM by Mikk36.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login