Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laser cut Graber i3 question

Posted by Grimlock1983 
Laser cut Graber i3 question
September 20, 2014 09:18AM
Hi guys

I ran into a little problem trying to find a place to cut my Graber i3 parts for me.
The files I have came from here: Graber github Using the graber-atx.dxf and graber-atx.pdf files.

The problem I'm having is that I live in South Africa.....we don't have 6.5mm plywood which is apparently the specs in the above mentioned files. What the people can help me with is 6mm MDF, but they say the file needs to be converted to the 6mm mdf specs.
How exactly do I accomplish this? I'm new to the world of CAD tools.

Help would be much appreciated
Re: Laser cut Graber i3 question
September 21, 2014 06:24AM
I don't really see what needs to be converted to cut it from a thicker material the diff is basically the outline to be cut.

Ben
September 21, 2014 06:36AM
The guys say the problem is where the different parts slot into each other....the slots are for 6.6mm, not 6mm, so they won't fit together.

What I think will solve the problem is if I adjust the dxf file in autocad by removing 0.3mm from each side of the slots for example. That way the slots are still in the correct place for assembly, but then 6mm total length.

Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 06:36AM by Grimlock1983.
September 21, 2014 11:57AM
Ah ok yes that would be where it would need adjusting then sorry but like I said I hadn't looked at the dxf yes just modify it like you've said.

Ben
October 02, 2014 07:04PM
I think the 6mm plywood should be fine. There might be problems with getting all the joints completely square, but that will also be the case if you use smaller slots.

The added .5mm is probably meant so it'll slide in easier. If you cut a 6mm slot for exactly 6mm thick wood, it will be a rather tight fit (and you might even have to sand the slot to make it wider).

In addition to this, last time I purchased 4mm plywood, it turned out to have a thickness of 3.4mm, so, after all, the 6mm plywood wouldn't have been exact, either.

If the construction wobbles too much, I reckon you can always reinforce it with a bit of glue. But make sure it works before you glue it together!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login