Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interpreting diode laser datasheets

Posted by papergeek 
Interpreting diode laser datasheets
December 06, 2013 07:46AM
I have a Nichia NDB-7875-E (445nm blue diode laser) and the datasheet says the absolute maximum forward current is 1.7A.

The seller claims it can be pushed as high as 2.5A but will have reduced life, and many posters on laserpointerforums.com claim to be running theirs at 2.0 - 2.1A without killing them. I have good heatsinking (stacked copper plate in contact with the can's copper housing) and I am measuring temperature on the copper next to the can, and see a very modest heat rise running at 1.8A over 30 minutes.

Is there a good process to figure out the maximum for pushing the current above the specs?
VDX
Re: Interpreting diode laser datasheets
December 09, 2013 06:04AM
... the diodes are specified for housing (or chip) temperatures below 30 centigrades ... 25 would be perfect.

So you can test them with moderate passive cooling and measure the temperature with constant currents for some ten minutes.

If you'll sense a rise in temp. above 30 centigrades, this should be the max. 'safe' current ... with better cooling (TEC's or really aggressive cooling) you can go for more current, but somewhere the temperature gradient inside the housing will be steep enough, so the chip will heat to above 30 degs and start degrade ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 09, 2013 02:36PM
So basically managing the temperature is the key. I'm not familiar with the physics of diode lasers but it sounds like it is the high temperature and runaway current effect that leads to higher temperatures that destroys them, not just higher current.

I'll need to re-run my tests with a higher ambient temperature. The ambient in my garage is usually around 15C during my normal hacking hours, and after running at 1.8A for 45 minutes I measured temperature just outside the copper diode housing (in my copper heatsink) of 26C. I have not yet used thermal grease between the plates but I am measuring from the plate with the tightest fit. So I should probably be safe allowing another 4-5C between the diode can and where I am measuring.

Picture attached - I have copper plates drilled out to 12mm and secured to an aluminum block which I've tapped. The aluminum block has a heatsink on top with a fan blowing over it, and I still need to see how successful that will be in creating a downhill gradient for heat from the diode. The copper seems to be performing as well as I'd expected (having nearly twice the thermal conductance of aluminum). Total weight is about the same as a stepper motor (around 450gm). The metal supply place turned out to have a supply of 4mm copper plate precut in small and medium squares, sold for USD $6 per pound.

One surprise I had was that my tests have been run with the beam inside a cardboard box with the end well outside the focus of the beam (about 40-50cm). At that point the beam has diverged to around 8cm. After 20 minutes or so I smelled hot cardboard and found there is a tiny hotspot in the center of the diverged beam. Fortunately I would not have run something like this unattended. After that I switched to a cardboard tube around a concrete target.
VDX
December 09, 2013 03:33PM
... the diverged beam should 'draw' a rough rectangle or bar in 28cm distance, so the 'hotspot' is a line in direction of the long axis with the maximum in the center.

With a gaussian energy density distribution this 'hot line-center' could be something around 1/20 of the complete beam energy, so enough energy to inflame paper with time!

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login