Advanced

Pick-and-Place

Posted by SebastienBailard 
Pick-and-Place
November 29, 2009 03:30AM
Here's a dedicated DIY and commercial pick-and-place forum:
[groups.yahoo.com]

--------------------

Here Steve Ciciora uses his Taig brand benchtop mill to pick and place SMD components on PCBs.
[www.ciciora.com]

"This is a 38 second video clip of my CNC'd Taig mill used as a solder paste dispenser."
[www.ciciora.com]

-----------------

[www.vimeo.com]
Re: Pick-and-Place
December 03, 2009 09:44AM
The XY bed of my repstrap is a decommissioned pick'n'place machine, about 220 x 180 mm travel, that I glommed off ebay. Solidly and professionally built from 6mm aluminium sheet (anodised blue, pretty!), acme 1/10" pitch leadscrews with bronze nuts, ball gibs and NEMA 23s (pretty old, but with shaft encoders) provided, cost me about USD100 landed in Australia. Considering the weight of the thing in freight, I must've bid less than USD 40 for it. No drivers for the steppers, but wired to 9-pin d-shells, with limits, and the steppers are geared down with synchro belts and pulleys. All it needed was a gantry with a z-axis and drivers for the steppers.
April 09, 2010 07:58AM
It seems that the forum has very little activity sad smiley
VDX
April 09, 2010 03:59PM
Hi Daniel,

... pick'n'place is one of the later steps, when you already have your PCB-production running and populating your boards semi- or full automated.

Actually most people are busy with mechanical issues and optimizing the extruder and fabbing parameters ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 20, 2010 08:14AM
Actually I was willing to say that on yahoo group about pick and place it's silence also ...
VDX
April 20, 2010 09:22AM
... some years ago i was busy developing grippers and positioning systems for pick-n-place - but more focussed on microasembling optical systems and MEMS than PCB's.

If you're interested in tools: - i developed different grippers (vacuum, tweezers and morphing structures), camera-optics with tenfold DOF than normal and micro-/nano-positioners for manual or 'teleoperated' microassembly - what's perfect suitable for PCB's too grinning smiley

Some of the prototypes are available - if you need something special, i can reactivate or rebuild most of them ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 09:23AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

March 06, 2014 04:35AM
VDX
... Some of the prototypes are available - if you need something special, i can reactivate or rebuild most of them ...

Hello Viktor,
your ongoing enthusiasm for DIY and Open Source is amazing.
I am right now preparing to launch a weekly Pick and Place assembly meeting, your know-how is very welcome.

We hopefully will already have something to show at the OS3DC 2014.

Regards,
Marcus
VDX
March 06, 2014 12:47PM
Hi Marcus,

I can't visit on regular basis, but evantually at the OS3DC.

Can pack then my car with some of the tools and equipment for p&p and microassembly/microinspection from my basement ...

Viktor
--------

March 06, 2014 01:19PM
That would be awesome, Viktor.
The OS3DC will this year take place at the weekend right after the euromold.
I'll get back to with further details.

Sincerely, Marcus

VDX
... Can pack then my car with some of the tools and equipment for p&p and microassembly/microinspection from my basement ...
May 31, 2014 08:33PM
Hi,

I have a suggestion for the DIY and commercial pick-and-place forum.

But I don't know anything about Yahoo Groups... (I don't know who to send to, whether I should join the group to send, etc.)

My suggestion:

Might there be an easier way to add components (e.g. computer chips) to a circuit board? Dispense the computer chip on the circuit board. Also dispense a small magnet on the circuit board. The small magnet can be moved around by moving another magnet underneath the circuit board.

Using a video camera, an artificial-intelligence may locate the chip, and push the chip to it's correct location with the small magnet.

Once everything is in place, we can keep spraying the circuit board with glue until everything sinks in.

Note:

Maybe the small magnet should have low friction, because it presses against the circuit board and you don't want it to scratch the circuit board too much.

The dispensing mechanism does not need to be perfect... If we dispense too many unneeded components, we can move them out of the way. But what if a component becomes upside-down? The small magnet can have wedge or something to flip components. Or it can push the upside-down component out of the way and use a component that is not upside-down.

Will it work?

How do I message them? (Should I bother them?)
May 31, 2014 09:01PM
Should I post it elsewhere too? If I want to, where could I without being too spammy?
Ant
June 01, 2014 10:34AM
Chips are not magnetic. Anyway, the way they do it now is fairly easy to do and all figured out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 10:35AM by Ant.
June 02, 2014 11:48PM
Ant
Chips are not magnetic. Anyway, the way they do it now is fairly easy to do and all figured out.

The problem was my jumboed grammar. I didn't mean to say moving the chip with a magnetic field. I meant physically pushing it with a magnet, which is controlled and moved by another magnet.

I think in factories they can do it easily with a huge super fast machine. But those 'DIY' people want to make their own stuff without buying a large mass production machine.

Anyhow, I think the reason few people are replying to me is because I'm not clear about what I mean. How could I rephrased it to be more understandable?
June 04, 2014 10:12PM
My main question is:

I don't know anything about Yahoo Groups... (I don't know who to send to, whether I should join the group to send, etc.)

How do I message the DIY and commercial pick-and-place forum? (Should I bother them?)

Can someone please give me a clue as soon as possible? Should I just email picknplace @yahoogroups.com? Should I join the group somehow?
June 09, 2014 11:21PM
No one's replying... I'll just try emailing.
January 21, 2015 06:50PM
Hey folks

@ Andreas: I joined the group, it is public, but you will need zo have an account to see mor in that group and you just need to press the join button and fill out the captcha. Thats it. But you wouldn't find any DIY there as it seems.

@ALL: Is there actually someone building on this project? Or do i missed another place where this is going on?

Just wondering that ther ewas allready a forum for this topic. I'm very interested to get involved in this part project of reprap.

I just found some projects out there and decided to start getting the best out of what i can find.
I allready bought a vacuum compressor and a selenoid but as i will integrate it in a new CNC build I am on right now, i didn't thought much about the rest of it.

Anyone?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login