Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Electronics for milling

Posted by ElectricMucus 
Which Electronics for milling
June 19, 2011 04:33PM
I've bought a CNC mill on eBay as well as a Arduino 2560 Clone.

Now I am looking for other things I need. I have though of RAMPS but a kit is expensive, it has options I wouldn't need & is missing something else.

At best I would have 3 stepper outputs & one high powered dc output for the tool.
I wonder if there is a shield for that or a similarly continent solution...
Re: Which Electronics for milling
June 20, 2011 04:16AM
RAMPS is too expensive? Other than doing a design on your own, this electronics is about the only one fitting on an Arduino (all others make the Arduino obsolete), so it's your only option. You can always parts from a generic electronics dealer, like DigiKey, Mouser, Reichelt, Farnell, RS, etc., of course and only the parts you actually need. What you need depends on the stepper drivers your CNC mill is equipped with.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 20, 2011 06:10AM
Hello, well the problem with ramps is, I want some additional means of controlling the dc motor of the tool.

So another solution + ramps would be expensive winking smiley It would be nice if the rpm could be controlled by software and I have no Idea how I could do this with ramps.
I assumed that there would be a ramps equivalent for mills, but as it seems I was wrong...
June 20, 2011 06:25AM
Issue is: Can I control the micromot with a 2A motor shield & still get full power?
I think not since it is rated 40W / 12V...
June 20, 2011 06:43AM
On the other hand: can I use the outputs of the motor shield in parallel & arrive at the desired ampage? In theory it should work but there could be something I am not aware of...
June 21, 2011 02:32AM
Attach the DC motor to one of the heater outputs. These are usually good for 5 to 20 amps, so you can switch 40 watts easily.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 11, 2012 03:25PM
Keep in mind that most of these cheap stepper drivers are not rated for 2A continuous and they require some pretty serious heatsinking and may get damaged when opperating under that load.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login