Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will pay for 3D parts for Mendel [$$]

Posted by docphil 
Will pay for 3D parts for Mendel [$$]
May 29, 2011 05:16PM
Hey guys,

I am building a Mendel, and I am looking for a set of 3D parts to buy. The commercial Rapid Prototyping companies seem to charge too much, but I would also appreciate suggestions if you know of a good company.

Also, I am considering redesigning the Mendel to work with waterjet (possibly lasercut) parts. Unlike the current lasercut design, which is to make the 3D parts from 2D cuts, I would like to remove the need for so much 3D printed material. If you can provide me with cheap 3D printed parts I would be happy to share any early progress with you.

Best,
Phillip Daniel
Email: docphil@mit.edu
Re: Will pay for 3D parts for Mendel [$$]
January 16, 2013 08:03PM
I am working on a similar project. It makes it really hard to make a 3d printer when companies charge so much for few small peices of printed plastic. There are a few ppl/companies that say, " We are doing or creating this to give a cheeper alternative to people trying to build an affordable printer." Usually a very few amount actually offer parts without a huge markup. If there is anyone that is willing to print a few basic parts for us both at a reasonable price it would be much appreciated. Personally I will print and donate at least2 or more sets to someone and only charge them cost os materials plus shipping. Thanks...
April 15, 2013 08:01AM
It would also be nice to be able to find a sketch up with dimensions of the parts, so that you can at least fabricate them yourself.
June 27, 2013 07:25AM
Michaelj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would also be nice to be able to find a sketch
> up with dimensions of the parts, so that you can
> at least fabricate them yourself.

You can open the stl in some freely available software to get dimensions (netfabb fro instance).

If you have openscad format files (most "official" reprap does) you can read the source code to get the dimensions too.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login