Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting Xylotex / Sherline mill to Rambo or similar

Posted by hallam 
Converting Xylotex / Sherline mill to Rambo or similar
June 07, 2014 10:14AM
So I just got my Mendelmax 2 running and it is clear that the quality of the code, build and design of RepRap is outstanding. I have been involved in open source since before it had a name (CERN Web team in 1993) and many such efforts. The quality varies. This one is clearly better than many commercial systems.

As a result I am now looking at my older Sherline CNC systems and looking at how I can get them running on the same sort of control system as the printer (RAMBO). I want all the g-code on a dedicated board, not sharing with my UI interface running on a machine old enough to have the parallel port that has been obsolete for ten years now.

Question is how to get there. Here is where I am at:

A) Obsolete Dell PC running LinuxCNC
cool smiley Xylotex driver box connected to parallel port connected to either

C1) A Sherline Mill with 3.5 Amp (2 amp per coil) stepper motors (269oz.in)
C2) A Sherline lathe with 3.5 Amp stepper motors

So what is the quickest distance between that point and this

A) Laptop computer with USB port (Mac)
cool smiley Reprap controller running the G-Code locally

C1 and C2 as before with the existing motors.

I will probably reuse the power supply and enclosure that I put the old controller in but I am indifferent to whether the Xylotec board is used or not.

If the Rambo has the power to drive my existing steppers then I will just junk the Xylotex. That is my preferred solution. If it does not have the oompf (technical term) to drive the bigger steppers then I am OK replacing it.

I don't much care about speed. This is not going to ever be used in an environment where that matters. All I want is the capability to machine the parts for a replacement for the mill with a bigger work area. Which will be an open source project if I get round to it. Basically I see a need for a machine with a 24"x24"x4" cutting/printing space that can cut aluminium and print ABS.

I can build that out of extrusions, machined plates and a spindle.

Why do both? well, then I can print the ABS parts into holes that have been machined for them. Fewer parts to make, less alignment.
Re: Converting Xylotex / Sherline mill to Rambo or similar
June 22, 2014 03:39AM
Hallam,

What I have done on my EMC2 machine (parallel port) is to take the step, dir and enable pulses off my RAMPS 1.4 board (no stepper boards on the RAMPS) and feed them into the appropriate parallel port pins. Same trick should work with RAMBO if it uses plug in stepper driver boards.

That part was straightforward as the voltages are compatible.

More tricky was setting up the end stops, but the same principle applies - feed the end stop outputs from the parallel into your RAMBO's inputs. Electronics depends on what kind of end stop sensors are on the sherline.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login